MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texturing large scale terrains

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdell
Texturing large scale terrains
on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:54:33 pm

I've been wanting to get DemEarth for Cinema 4D, to make maps, etc for our output. However, as none of the satellite/aerial texture data is licensed (which is not a criticism of the plugin in anyway, as it looks VERY impressive), as things stand I don't think it's a valid option. I'm not hugely experienced with C4D, I'm much more of an After Effects user looking to expand their toolset, but I would have hoped to be able to find a material set that applies realistic textures to the model made by the DEM data based on model height or something (so would put water at sea level, sand, grass, snow, for example as you move further up). I've contacted Eric Smit about his excellent looking landscapes materials but as they're deformers they probably aren't suitable. So, any ideas? Is such a thing available? Or could someone point me in the direction of a suitable tutorial?

Thanks!

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor, Motion Graphics and VFX

http://www.michael-lansdell.co.uk

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Texturing large scale terrains
on Feb 11, 2015 at 4:48:10 am

If you want to do it procedurally you can use the Effects>Terrain Mask shader to place different colors/textures according to height and/or slope. You use the shader inside of a Layer Shader.

Here's a very basic example: 8533_terrainshaderexample.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Michael Lansdell
Re: Texturing large scale terrains
on Feb 12, 2015 at 11:03:18 pm

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply and the demo scene, great to see what I was hoping would be possible at work. I'm not sure I understand how that shader is telling C4D what things should look like at each level though, but I'm sure if I spend some time with it I'll work it out.

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor, Motion Graphics and VFX

http://www.michael-lansdell.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]