MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ribbon twisting behind airplane object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim JonesRibbon twisting behind airplane object
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:11:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a total C4D noob and this is my first post, so apologies for any errors.
have looked a various ‘ribbon’ questions on the Forum but none have solved my specific issue.

I need to create a series of airplane 'ribbon diagrams' for airplane display teams - (like the Red Bull sample at

- I'm trying to recreate the animation from 00:28 secs).

My initial tests have a paper airplane following a bezier spline using the Align To Spline tag. The airpalne rotates 180 degrees and a little later another 180 degrees to complete a 360 degree twist at certain points along the spline. I then used a sweep nurb and a rectangle spline to create the ribbon. So i now have a ribbon following the airplane. Great.

My question is, how do I get the ribbon to twist with the airplane like the Red Bull video sample? The 180 and 360 twists need to happen at particular positions along the spline and the twist needs to stay in their original position and not move or stretch along the spline. To save a lot time, I would like the end of the ribbon to follow what the airplane is doing so that I don’t need to keyframe the aircraft and ribbon separately.

I hope all that makes sense to someone. Any help would be much appreciated. Please keep any replies as easy to understand as possible - i am very new to this!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Ribbon twisting behind airplane object
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:06:52 am

check out Rail Splines for the Sweep object

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved