MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Soft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul CarderSoft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:00:12 pm

Hi all,

This has been driving me nuts for hours and I'm starting to panic as I've wasted all day at work trying to find that elusive 'make work property' checkbox in C4D.

I've extruded text brought into C4D from an Illustrator path. I've then made everything editable, connected objects + delete so that this text is one object. All the usual steps.

When I applied the soft body tag to it and hit play, the polygons go crazy (ref to my screenshots)

Now, I've Optimized the object, and I've gone into the tag properties and made sure it's set to 'Made Of Polygons/Line' but nothing seems to stop it from freaking out.

Can anyone help me? I've run out of options. Hard body works, but I don't want that option as it's too.....well.....hard!

HERE ARE MY SCREENSHOTS ------------>

8486_problemgraphic.jpg.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Soft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 8:58:14 pm

looks kind of like the stuff you get if soft bodies are already interpenetrating at the start of the anim. But it should not have what look like separate pieces either if all the steps you did worked correctly. Can you post the file?

Return to posts index

Paul CarderRe: Soft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:00:29 am

Hi Brian, thanks for responding. I've attached a sample project (R15).

It contains the origional extruded paths, and the single object with the soft body tag on it.

Beware, if you play it at he moment, it takes ages to preview as the text very slowly falls apart!

I really hope it's something simple I'm missing. I'm not very experienced with Dynamics at all! (as you can tell)

Here's the zip - 8496_bouncytextsampleproject.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Soft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy
by on Feb 4, 2015 at 8:23:35 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Feb 4, 2015 at 8:41:17 pm

Too many parts that are not actually welding together because they are not close enough in the Optimize - you can actually color it like you want right on the extruded text all three textures on one object. In addition, some parts of the O are needlessly complex (it's the spline (the font really)) and behave a lot better when cleaned up a bit.

8507_bouncytextfix.c4d.zip

This one is better - I changed the original splines, took out a few points on the 'O' to make it slightly less complex, then changed all the spline to have Uniform Intermediate Points and set the number so the geometry comes out better - 3 for most of them, 1 for the O which is denser

8508_bouncytextfix2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Paul CarderRe: Soft Body tag makes my extruded text go crazy
by on Feb 6, 2015 at 9:07:57 am

Brian, you are an absolute life-saver! and I can't thank you enough for sorting this out.

I guess I need a lot more training in C4D when it comes to simplifying planes and polygons. I just presumed C4D could handle anything.

So the 'Uniform Intermediate Points' is the 'make work option' in this instance. I'll be sure to look into this when I next get a free moment.

Many thanks again, I REALLY appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]