MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Bake sculpt objects difficulty

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff CroweBake sculpt objects difficulty
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:20:17 pm

So I decided to take a stab at the sculpting tools in C4D for a potential project. I'm not doing anything super detailed, so if you look at the image below the particular model here is of a foosball player. The sculpted model in the viewport is on the left, followed by a couple of renders. The problem I'm having is getting my baked maps to come out looking as smooth as the model on the left. The renders aren't terrible, but they're obviously not as clean as I would like. The 4K version looks a bit better than the 2K, but the main areas of issue are where the legs meet the paddle at the bottom, the arms where the pole runs through it, and the hair around the forehead. I've tried baking after tweaking a bunch of the settings in the bake sculpt objects menu, but nothing really addresses these issues. I've laid out the UVs for this model myself, but also tried optimal mapping which didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions on what I might need to change in order to get my renders looking closer to the actual model I've sculpted? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Bake sculpt objects difficulty
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 11:47:09 pm

Hard to tell from the images. I'd suggest running the mesh check function to make sure there's no problem with the geometry. I'd also suggest trying to bake fewer levels -- maybe go to level 6 to level 1 instead of going to level 0.

Return to posts index

iskander iskandayaRe: Bake sculpt objects difficulty
by on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:28:35 am

How diw you proceed to the bake and what did you bake ? (normal , displacement and or ambiant occlusion?)

Because I have read in c4d help that it is suggested to bake normal and displacement in 2 steps:
-bake displacement only; level target object to 0, level source object to 5 if you have 7 levels (example of the help)
-bake normal only; target level object to 5, and source level object to 7.

They tell us that if you bake it all together once, it can produce false shading issues, maybe like you have in your baked models.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved