MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Colorize cloned cubes based on gradient - while using render instances.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Dekay
Colorize cloned cubes based on gradient - while using render instances.
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:57:41 pm

Hello there!

I would like to colorize a number of cubes that are cloned objects. Specifically, I'd like to colorize them based on a gradient, and have each cube a solid color.

I have seen a few bits here and there and there on how to do similar, but I am having trouble connecting the dots on how to apply a texture like this.

I would like to be able to use "render instances" as well, which I believe plays into colorability with regards to some methods.

Can someone fill me in on steps on how to do this? We can assume the cloner is set up already.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Colorize cloned cubes based on gradient - while using render instances.
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:34:50 pm

One way is to create the material and use the fit to region tool to adjust the UVW at the cloner object manually. If you turn fix texture on it will stay put.

Return to posts index

Josh Dekay
on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:36:27 pm
Last Edited By Josh Dekay on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:39:59 pm

Hey Cassius thanks for the reply.

Fit to region looks like a handy tool.

But the problem with that is that it's spreading the gradient smoothly across all cubes so they are not each a solid color from the gradient.

If anyone needs more info, please ask.

Thanks!

PS - The cube formation is essentially a matrix (cube of cubes).

PPS - Did you mean "stick texture" instead of "fix texture"? I just want to make sure I was missing anything.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:44:02 am

Unfortunately it won't work with render instances, but here's a quick demonstration of how to set it up if you can live with regular clones:

Return to posts index

Josh Dekay
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:35:37 pm

Hey thanks a lot for the examples Cassius and Adam!

I'm short on time at the moment so will look into things more later today.

In the mean time, I came across this comment which seems to indicate render instances can be used. I got stuck during part of the instructions though, specifically "Then you need to load..."

Can you guys make sense of it? If so, maybe we can all learn something new. I asked for more details, but didn't hear back from the poster.

"...there’s actually a little trick to get the benefit of both worlds, “Render Instances” turned on in the cloner, to speed up the scene, use less memory AND to shade clones with the shader effector.
All you have to do is creating that gradient you used not inside of a material but creating it inside your shader effector under “custom shader”. Then you need to load the Mograph Color-Shader inside the color channel of a blank material and assign it to the cloner. Now you can safely turn on “Render Instances” and have your clones shaded with that gradient. Don’t be mistaken by the viewport since it still won’t show the gradient. But as soon as you hit the render button it shows up correctly"

Let me know if you can get it to work, I'm newer to C4D so more clear steps that the paragraph above would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 17, 2015 at 12:01:30 am

Yes, that suggestion works. All you have to do is follow the steps I demonstrated above. Then, in addition, create a material with the Mograph Color Shader in the color and/or luminance channel, and put the material on the cloner. The colors will render even if you use render instances.

Return to posts index

Josh Dekay
on Jan 18, 2015 at 10:07:09 pm

Excellent - works great!

Thanks again to both Adam and Cassius - Cheers!

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:43:51 pm
Last Edited By Matthew Ingram on Sep 14, 2015 at 5:08:04 pm

hi adam

following your great tutorial here - thanks

i'm using spheres - but my problem is that i want them to render flat.

- in the shader effector i have checked shading>luminance
- and in my shader i have built the color in the luminance channel

but the render gives me specular on the spheres.

how can i get a flat render with this rig?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jan 16, 2015 at 7:02:03 pm

Well, I would just step my gradient to match the number os cubes...its a lot easier than creating a bunch of multishaders.

I created an example if you still have any doubts. And no, I meant fix texture (as it is in r16) in the cloner options.

8407_texturegradientcubes.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]