MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Wire to Spool Animation?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony BaroneWire to Spool Animation?
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 2:43:31 pm

I’m trying to figure out a way to animate a straight wire around 2 spools. Can anyone suggest a way to do this?
The only way I can think of is with point level animation and a lot of keyframes.

I’ve attached my initial project file which has the “wire” in its final position. I want it to start out basically straight and then kind of “wound” around the spools in a somewhat natural way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8373_wire.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Wire to Spool Animation?
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 4:25:04 pm

The spline wrap deformer is perfect for this.

Example: 8374_wiresplinewrap.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Tony BaroneRe: Wire to Spool Animation?
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 4:40:15 pm

Adam to the rescue! Thank you.
Your example provided some direction, however, what I need to do is have the wire come down from above. One end is to be attached to the spool and then the rest of the wire is then wound around it and then the other in a figure 8 sort of pattern.

Return to posts index

Tony BaroneRe: Wire to Spool Animation?
by on Jan 7, 2015 at 9:46:34 pm

Attached is an updated file, I added a point morph to your example. It doesn't come anywhere near to what I'm trying to achieve, but does seem to be along the right track.

There just doesn't seem to be a really good way of animating realistic wire. Its like trying to do an animation of a shoelace tying. Theres so many movements involved, I just can't figure this one out.

8379_8374wiresplinewrapwpointmorph.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]