6 or 4 cores??

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Rohi-Bilverdy
6 or 4 cores??
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:22:54 am

Hi
Hi
I am upgrading my pc to something close to a workstation. If i go with a core i7 six cores and 32 gigs RAM, is that suitable for cinema 4d?? Or is a core i7 4 core enough??

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: 6 or 4 cores??
on Jan 8, 2015 at 3:20:43 am

Don't know for sure, faster GHz (and graphics card) mean faster viewport performance, more cores (and usually with reduced GHz to limit heat - with more cores packed into a small space) mean faster render times as C4D can use all the power of all the cores during renders.

In general, get as much power as you can afford - but will 12 render threads vs 8 (25% increase) outdo 3 GHz vs 4 (25% decrease)... simplifying things because it's complex. It's way easier if you are talking 4 cores vs 12 (or even 8) but that's whole different price bracket.

The i7 5960 8 core looks like a power sweet spot but I don't really know enough about it to be sure (also getting to be pricey but less than 1/2 the price of a xeon 10 core...). Others know far more than I.

Check out http://cbscores.com - I don't know if all the values there are honest but there are some interesting comparisons there, sort based on CPU and see if any of the i7's there are the models you are looking at.

Return to posts index

Alexander Rohi-Bilverdy
on Jan 8, 2015 at 8:25:18 am

Thanks Brian. I will check that link out. Yeah i really wanted the octa core 5960 but my budget wont allow it. Instead i have been keen on the hex core 5820k 3.3 12 threads.

If i choose that 5820k than the rest of my system will be:
32gb RAM. DDR4
NVIDIA quadro 2200k 4gb ram
250 gb SSD
Asus rampage motherboard

A little beast. But that should keep me going for a couple of years untill i upgrade.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:26:49 pm

the usual wisdom is that Quadro cards are a waste of money with C4D - I don't know the price of a 2200k but the usual advice is that a gaming card at the same price is better bang for the buck. Unless you have some other app(s) that will use the Quadro fully because it won't be bad in C4D. But do check the OpenGL scores in cbscores.com

Return to posts index

Alexander Rohi-Bilverdy
on Jan 8, 2015 at 5:28:39 pm

Ok. I will be using After Effects, premiere pro, photoshop, realflow and cinema 4d. I think the quadro works well with After effect, but you are absolutely right, if the software dont utilitize 100 % the hardware then a equal card should work out.

Return to posts index

Peter Chicarielli
on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:50:37 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks for the info provided. I've been researching making my own build and have been getting closer, but also opening up the door to an entire world I knew little about that is proving to be quite complex.

I've also run into the issue of more cores vs. less faster cores.

It's been a few months since you posted these comments so I'm wondering if any of you went forward and what are your thoughts now? Any build specs would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]