MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Slice one object using another object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David HallSlice one object using another object
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 12:55:00 am

So basically I would like to be able to "use an object as my knife." Is that possible?

I want to "slice" one object using another. I want to cut edges or polygons. And I would like the cuts to occur where the objects intersect.

I would use a boolean, but I'm not trying to subtract or add or intersect, I'm just trying to cut edges or add points.

I found the following topic, I did find the "spline cut script" nice and useful, but now what I am trying to do can't be done with splines.

Here is what I am working on specifically. I want to remove the protruding part of this cube from this 3d logo.

But in general, it would be nice just to "make cuts (one one object) along the intersection" of another object.

For example turn this into this

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Slice one object using another object
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 5:37:01 pm

You can get that effect by using two Booleans of the same objects: one set to A intersect B and the other set to A without B.

Return to posts index

David HallRe: Slice one object using another object
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 10:28:21 pm

Thanks Adam. That is not exactly what I was looking for, I was looking to "chop the cube" not the text. But the ideas is correct. And that is a clever way to do it. So thank you much.

Now if I use that method, then I do end up with "inside geometry" correct?

So either I would need to clean the inside of the object up and then optimize, if I wanted to say use a subdivision surface on this geometry later. Or I would be left wit extra geometry on the inside.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved