MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Open/Close wallet

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean KimberOpen/Close wallet
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 2:07:38 pm

Hi,

I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of a lot of C4D basics until I hit a snag when trying to create a wallet. I created the shape and put some subdivisions in the middle so that it would bend with some curve when it opened or closed. However, I can't figure out a way to be able to open and close it without turning into 2 separate pieces (so suddenly it's not connected in the middle and doesn't bend properly). I suspect I have to use IK chains, but can't seem to figure out the solution. Any suggestions?

I am using both C4D R12 (on my personal computer at home) and R16 (on my work computer when I'm in the office - though I won't have access to that until Monday, and would prefer to have this figured out before then).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Sean KimberRe: Open/Close wallet
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 3:09:41 pm

Here is a copy of the wallet as it currently stands.

Thank you!

(Not sure if I uploaded properly. Let me know if it's incorrect)

8270_wallet0008.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Open/Close wallet
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 6:04:28 pm

I would use a bend deformer instead of joints for this. Much simpler. Example: 8271_wallet0008benddeformer.c4d.zip

If you do want to use joints you probably don't want to use IK. Instead you'd just keyframe the rotation of Joint2. Either way you also have to weight the joints to the mesh (both wallet and bills). I can't remember when Maxon changed the system, but in R16 you also have to add a skin deformer to each mesh.

The bills won't bend properly as it stands because you only made the cuts on the front side.

Return to posts index

Sean KimberRe: Open/Close wallet
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 8:06:50 pm

Thank you very much! This completely solved my problem! And I must have accidentally hit "Line" instead of "Loop" when I subdivided the dollar bills. I'll have to fix that. Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]