MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Advice on buying a mac for c4d

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet ReddyAdvice on buying a mac for c4d
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 11:05:25 am

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a refurbished mac i have two options one i can afford and the other i can afford at at stretch but is it worth it?
these are the specs.
Im also considering an iMac or a new black tube mac pro, but i know ill have to buy extra bits to get my aja kona card to work with those.
When it comes to using C4d I'm ok but the fire power I need can confuse me. These guys will custom build the mac so to cut the price I'm thinking to ask for one main drive 500gb for my os and applications. For the ram would i be better off going for the 12gb and buying more myself and installing? then theres the cores (12 Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon (12 real cores)) or 12 Core 3.46GHz Intel Xeon (12 Actual Cores). for use in C4d will i have a big difference between 2.66 and 3.46 Ghz ? also how would these machines compare i.e. the 12 Core 3.46GHz Intel Xeon to the new iMac i5 3.8 GHz or the new black tube mac pro 6-core machines. I know this is a lot of questions but any advice is greatly appreciated cheers.

I can afford
Apple Mac Pro 5,1
12 Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon (12 real cores)
2TB 7200RPM Hard drive
12GB DDR3 ECC RAM
Bluetooth and Wifi
Nvidia GT120 512MB GPU

or this one i can afford but at a stretch

Apple Mac Pro 5,1
12 Core 3.46GHz Intel Xeon (12 Actual Cores)
48GB DDR3 ECC RAM
512GB Flash PCIe Storage
4TB 7200RPM Hard drive
Bluetooth and Wifi
ATI 5770 1GB GPU

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Advice on buying a mac for c4d
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:07:20 pm

Single core speed and graphics card make for your viewport speed so the 3.46 machine will be better on both counts as the 5770 outperforms the 120 too, single core speed will also make single core pre-render functions faster too

Render speed is number of cores and speed so the 3.46 will be faster there too.

There will be a difference between the 2.66 and the 3.46 but whether that is enough for you is up to you. Are you aware of the cinebench scores on cbscores.com for comparison?

Might be cheaper to get a 5,1 2.4 8-core and do an OWC upgrade (maybe)

Return to posts index

Emmet ReddyRe: Advice on buying a mac for c4d
by on Dec 6, 2014 at 10:37:25 am

Thanks Brian thats very helpful the cbscores are also very useful. All the best Emmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]