MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

AO and Glass

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh DekayAO and Glass
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:27:18 pm
Last Edited By Josh Dekay on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:33:25 pm

Hey there,

I have a glass jar for holiday candies that I modeled in C4D. The glass has some thickness to it. I excluded the jar from AO via a composite tag because it was making the glass material dark. The issue that I have now is that the shadow on the floor is very light without AO on the jar.

What's the standard way to handle this so that there is a proper AO shadow on the floor below the jar?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: AO and Glass
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:51:24 am

the brute force way is to copy the jar (in place) and put a compositing tag on it with Seen by Camera unchecked so it provides the AO surface. You might have to take the bottom out since the visible one is transparent (probably) and the surface the jar is 'resting' on will be totally black and seen through the jar...

Return to posts index

Josh DekayRe: AO and Glass
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:52:20 am

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply.

That's what I was thinking too. I wasn't sure if there was a better way, but that will do if nothing else.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: AO and Glass
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 4:38:15 am
Last Edited By Adam Trachtenberg on Dec 5, 2014 at 4:53:45 am

Another possibility would be to use the Effects>AO shader in your floor material's diffuse channel instead of using the render effect. Or ... you could use the post effect and enable the "evaluate transparency" option. But that may result in too little effect. Or ... you could use the post effect but cheat a bit by adding a white knot at the far left of your AO gradient and moving the black knot to the right, probably somewhere between 5-10%.

Return to posts index

Josh DekayRe: AO and Glass
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 8:24:38 pm

I'll do some experimenting, thanks for chiming in Adam.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]