MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cloth engine fixed points separating object in two

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cabestany
Cloth engine fixed points separating object in two
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:28:42 pm

I have this object which is nothing more than a tube with fillet caps and one of its faces removed. I added a cloth simulation tag and then fixed the points in the inner side using the dresser tab.

As I understand it and in fact done it in the past, those points should stay where they are now and the rest of the object should fall or react to the wind or whatever, but always attached to the points, as if stretching the object.

However, as soon as I hit play the rest the object (except for four rows of polygons) falls down, as if it was not attached to the points and I end up only with the center portion, much like a tire wheel.

I tried using a torus instead of a tube and it works fine, but it's not the shape I need.
Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
D.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Cloth engine fixed points separating object in two
on Nov 20, 2014 at 11:38:37 pm

Settings to look for

Cloth Tag/Tag
-Flexion is actually a form of stiffness increase it
-depending on the version of C4D either increase the stiffness/flexion above 100% or if you have it, increase Iterations in the same Cloth Tag/Tag spot.

Cloth Tag/Expert
-Self Collision - turn it on
-Sub Sampling - increase it (carefully) - things can get slow real fast
-Global Intersection Analysis - might help

you probably don't need to do all these things but try out various combos.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:12:32 pm

Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately none of it worked. I tried several combinations and also some other settings besides the one you mentioned. The sides are still disconnecting for some reason.

It's very weird because I tried other objects and the oil tank does the same, it will throw away even the part directly attached to the fixed points.

I wonder if this is a bug or the way is intended to work on this objects.

Best,
David.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:38:03 pm

what version of C4D? It works for me in 16. The main reason it's not going to be difficult is the shape. It will work for a torus because it's all round with relatively the same size polys. The abrupt angle change of the tube and oil tank both with long flat sides are going to be problems. If you make it stiff enough to not flow through itself you don't get much reaction, you can probably make it softer with Self Collision on and sub frames/iterations increased a lot but it's going to be slow. What are you actually looking for (more specific than 'the rest of the object should fall or react to the wind or whatever')?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]