MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

combining multiple files for a render

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex McMurraycombining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 18, 2014 at 11:26:44 pm

I have returned to C4d (v12) after a long absence, with a question on scene files.
As an example, I have a main scene (.c4d) file, say a large room, I also have a number of other (.c4d) sub-files containing objects that would appear in the room, say, chairs, tables, cabinets, etc.
Assume that the coordinates of the objects in the sub-files are correct relative to the position that they would be in the main room file.
Is it possible to have the main scene file (the room), call the individual sub-files at the render stage, without the sub-file objects being "physically" in the main scene.
My main drawback is I am not sure of the correct terminology to look for if this exists in C4d.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: combining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 18, 2014 at 11:49:37 pm

I don't think it's possible in R12. More recent versions contain Xrefs which allow this sort of arrangement.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: combining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:46:08 am

FWIW 12 does have xrefs - I didn't remember for sure either but I have a copy still...

Return to posts index

Alex McMurrayRe: combining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 6:49:17 am

Thank you so very much Adam & Brian, this is what I was hoping for.
While R12 does have Xref, my Googling indicates that it was included from R13 onwards, so hopefully, the 12 Xref works the same way.

Now to search for turorials.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: combining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 4:39:15 pm

xrefs got more powerful over the versions so tutes might do things that are not possible in 12. I found if you have a lot (hundreds) of them in a scene loading times were pretty slow and opted for instances for a project I was working on (which was in 12 I think). I don't know if that was my fault or just the nature of the beast at that point.

Return to posts index

Alex McMurrayRe: combining multiple files for a render
by on Oct 19, 2014 at 7:43:54 pm

The tests I have done so far have not reached that point, but one of my assets has 340 plastic chair in an array, with 1 "real" one and the rest instances.
Previously, navagating the scene took forever, (Old quad core running XP), tested this with Xref, there was a noticable speed increase, plus, the ability to ensable visibility with one click was an added bonus.
My imagination is reaching overload with ideas of Xref usage.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]