MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D to AE weirdness - position coordinates are not correct

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason ConnollyC4D to AE weirdness - position coordinates are not correct
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:10:12 am

Hello, the COW!

Perhaps I'm a little tired but I can't for the life of me figure out why the NULL I set up in C4D is not showing up correctly in AE.

I have a city scape in C4D and a very basic camera zoom. I've placed a NULL on the "floor" and my intention was to use that NULL to position a 3D solid layer in AE. At the moment, when I copy the NULL's position into my AE 3D solid layer, it doesn't look like it's "sticking" to the floor. It's totally wrong. I've done this 100 times before and I have no clue what is wrong here.

I've attached the C4D scene. I know this is a huge ask but any advice is welcomed!

8071_pbcdenveratest3support.zip

Cheers,
Jason

Return to posts index

Lance MoodyRe: C4D to AE weirdness - position coordinates are not correct
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:26:06 am

Hey there this is a known bug in the last version of CC:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/c4d-ae-cc-2014-timed.html

Hopefully the new update released today has fixed it.

I wasted hours on it, too!

Lance

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:38:50 am

Yes, I checked and the new AE October 2014 does bring in that floor null properly timed.

Return to posts index

Jason ConnollyRe: C4D to AE weirdness - position coordinates are not correct
by on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:41:04 am

Great! Thanks, Lance! I really thought I was losing my mind. Oy.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:47:04 am

Actually, the I'm using AE CS6. I'll dig a little deeper into this tomorrow and report back. But thanks, Lance, this helps shed a huge amount of light. -Jason

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2014 at 5:23:47 pm

Hi, Lance- OK, so I went thru the rigamarole of updating to AE CC 2014 but it STILL doesn't work. I installed the C4D importer that was outlined in that support doc you pointed out and no luck. Do you have any other insight? Or could you possibly post that AE project you tested with just the NULL in a comp? This is making me gray!

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:14:11 pm

Hi Jason,

Sure, just wanted to be sure we were following the same procedure. The C4D importer is not needed if you have updated to yesterday's release of After Effects (2014.1). That was just part of an unfortunate workaround for a nasty bug in the first release of 2014.

So here are the steps I followed.

1. In my AE project, import your C4D file.
2. Drag imported C4D file onto new sequence icon.
3. Highlight C4D clip in timeline (should already be highlighted) to access effects properties.
4. Click on the last button in the Cineware parameters list: Cinema 4D Scene Data--"Extract"

A new camera is created along with the floor position null you made in C4D.
I note that the null (as in C4D) is not oriented toward the camera (not a big deal if you are only using it to lock to).

8073_pbcdenverwithnull.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:42:40 pm

Thar she blows! Holy hand truck, thanks! This is partially my fault for being lazy and not upgrading to CC. I've been drooling over the C4D to AE pipeline but I have other projects/clients that are still on CS6 so whenever the mood struck to upgrade, I'd easily convince myself to wait. But now digging around in Cineware, why the heck have I waited??

THanks again! Consider this post closed!

Cheers,
Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]