MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Render background without foreground occluding it?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Connolly
Render background without foreground occluding it?
on Sep 26, 2014 at 9:11:07 pm

Hello, the COW!

Is there a way to render a background without the foreground occluding it? In other words, can I simultaneously render a full frame background without it being occluded or "cut out" by a foreground element? I'm well versed in object buffers and they don't seem to offer the solution I'm looking for. At least I don't think they do.

To illustrate my question, I've uploaded a still from the simple scene I'm working on. I'll be taking this scene to After Effects and all I want to do is dissolve the "Colorado" text on-screen in After Effects. I've tried keyframing the material but it's a little clunky. And that won't work any way since I need to control the timing of the dissolve in After Effects as there will be other elements being added to the screen.

Presently, the only solution I can think of is doing two independent passes ... one of the US map background with the foreground turned off and a second with the background turned off. That seems like a very inefficient way to do it. I thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers, Jason

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Render background without foreground occluding it?
on Sep 27, 2014 at 2:56:45 am

Unfortunately there's no way to do that in Cinema (or AFAIK in any 3D program).

Return to posts index

Jason Connolly
Re: Render background without foreground occluding it?
on Sep 27, 2014 at 12:55:23 pm

Thanks, Adam! I truly appreciate you taking the time to consider this and respond.

So, now that appears I'll need to do two separate renders, I've stumbled onto another problem, specifically rendering out shadow passes. In my simple scene above, you'll see that the "Colorado" text casts a shadow onto the US map. The problem I'm encountering is that when I tell the camera to NOT see the US map, obviously, the map AND the shadow are no longer visible. So, my solution right now is to do two full passes -- one with the map clean, the second with the text layered in -- and then in After Effects, I'll dissolve between those two scenes. Is there a better (less render heavy) way to do it?

Thanks again,
Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]