MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Align Clones

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin Chottera
Align Clones
on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:40:27 pm
Last Edited By Pravin Chottera on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:41:06 pm

I'm cloning an object around a sphere, but I want all the objects to align themselves to the normal of the sphere - meaning they should all point outwards from the sphere.

I've fiddled with the align settings and can't seem to get it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Align Clones
on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:34:55 am

clones want to align themselves along their Z axis, probably your objects are aligned along the Y axis (they point up?) if so just do + or - 90° P in the Transform tab, nothing else. It won't help to choose an Up Vector with that shape unless it's origin's rotation is odd.

Return to posts index

Pravin Chottera
on Sep 27, 2014 at 6:24:13 am

That did the trick! Thanks! It's interesting they align along z. Any reason behind this?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 27, 2014 at 3:40:43 pm

it's just a choice they had to make at some point. It's like why is Y the up direction and Z into the screen (in the perspective view)? That's the way it mostly is now but earlier on it seemed like half and half (with the programs I saw anyway) and that's really just 'were the developers looking at a Front view or a Top view all the time when they were deciding'. The IGES format still has a "Swap Y and X axis" in the prefs but that's the only one now (of C4D's available formats).

Return to posts index

Pravin Chottera
on Sep 28, 2014 at 5:14:36 pm

Very good to know. Being able to animate the axes of the clones is pretty nifty.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]