MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Self-booleaning sweep (too many bools)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Watson
Self-booleaning sweep (too many bools)
on Sep 25, 2014 at 1:52:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm so nearly where I want to get to with this scene I've set up (at least in terms of functionality, if not aesthetics), but there's one last bit that's not quite working.

Through some trial and error I figured out a way to mock up 'painting' a texture onto a globe (scene file attached). The problem is, I used a swept-bool, which works wonderfully until it crosses over itself and then seems to run the bool operation again. It makes some interesting patterns but what I actually want is for the path 'painted' onto the globe to stay as a solid path, rather than creating the patterns (and keep building the path until the entire globe has changed from one texture to another, in this case from the Earth to solid blue).

Hope this makes sense - the scene file should illustrate things better.

Cheers,

Dan

(File link) 8041_earthsurfacetracer.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Self-booleaning sweep (too many bools)
on Sep 25, 2014 at 6:18:49 pm

I had to replace the images but it seems to be working here, starts as one texture then transitions to the other following the satellite

Return to posts index

Dan Watson
on Sep 26, 2014 at 7:32:07 am

Hi Brian, thanks for checking the file out.

I think you may have seen the version I got working with the proximal shader. This is ok, but the swath (painted bit) is rounded, as opposed to the straight edged path painted by the sweep version (and how satellites do it).

This image shows the error that's happening around the polar regions of the Earth (the patterning): crossedlinesfromsweep-bool.png

This image shows how I'd like it to look, but the path is rounded and not neat looking (as opposed to the sweep which is very sharp): nocrossedlinesbutmessyswath.png

So basically somewhere in between would be great!

I've re-uploaded the file with the sweep version set-up (and tidied up the objects menu).

Any help is, as ever, appreciated.

Dan

Project File Link: 8047_earthsurfacetracer.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 26, 2014 at 10:31:54 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Sep 28, 2014 at 5:43:47 pm

bools do that it's the way they work. (same as in Illustrator with booled splines). Have you thought of using the standard sphere and revealing the vertical pie slices somehow? (I thought of that but didn't have time to test, now I won't have for a while.

Return to posts index

Dan Watson
on Sep 28, 2014 at 3:25:45 pm

Thanks for your ideas, Brian, I'll give them a try.

It just feels so odd to me that there isn't a way to do this (even if it's not remotely similar to this method). It's also frustrating to be so close but not quite able to get the final thing looking how I imagined it...

Dan

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 28, 2014 at 6:29:53 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Sep 28, 2014 at 7:18:36 pm

you might be able to get something like what you are thinking by creating the spline first - let the tracer run till it loops then make it editable then use a scaled up copy of the spline as a rail spline to keep the non-working sweep idea you had aligned properly *edit* with a Spherify deformer to round out the resulting sweep...

Return to posts index

Dan Watson
on Oct 1, 2014 at 2:07:28 pm

Brian, the spherify tag was a touch of genius. It works now!

Thank you so much. I had a morning of utter frustration until I saw your edit and now it's looking great!

All the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]