MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Creating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph LatheyCreating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material
by on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:22:26 am

Hi all,

I've been banging my head for a while over this. I'm effectively trying to create a bundle of joy, with presents inside, hanging from another object.

I've modeled my bundle in C4D and applied a cloth tag and got the dynamics more-or-less how I want them. The only deal breaker is I Can't figure out how to make the bag reactive to what's inside it.

I've tried various alternative's including using the dress-o-matic to stretch over the objects. But again it's not working for me.

Any Ideas?

All the best,

J

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material
by on Sep 28, 2014 at 12:07:06 am

it's probably a lot easier to do it with SoftBody for the cloth and Rigid Body for the presents. A different set of challenges but much easier for the interaction of bag and contents.

Return to posts index

Joseph LatheyRe: Creating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material
by on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:51:01 am

Thanks. I've given it a go and decided to just stick with a basic model and use a soft body tag.

My problem now is the dynamics. I'm trying to animate a bird flying with the bundle in its mouth. The bird animation isn't a problem, It's connecting the Bundle to the Bird that's the issue. I have done it very easily using the cloth tag and cloth belt, but the simulated cloth was way too unrealistic. I feel the added rigidness of the softbody would be better. I just can't figure out how to connect a soft body to another object. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Creating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material
by on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:33:24 pm

yeah, cloth is easier to connect but it isn't designed to contain things. Try a Connector object (Simulate/Dynamics/Connector.

Return to posts index

Joseph LatheyRe: Creating a "Bundle of Joy" with Cloth Object and Reactive Material
by on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:42:30 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Lathey on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:49:02 pm

That's exactly what I have done. Used a 'Dynamic Connector Object', I then needed to find a way of getting my Soft Body "Bundle" to connect to the Bird, and then animate movement.

To do this I eventually figured out that I needed to have Rigid/Softbody tags on the connecting objects (A+B). I just disabled dynamics for the 'A Object'. and selected a 'Ball & Socket".

This is actually working great except the bundle is tethered to the center of the bird, whereas I need the bundle to be tethered to the beak.
I have 'Point Selection', 'Polygon Point' and 'Center of Mass to choose from.

I'm messing around with 'Point Selection' and Selection Tags now but not getting very far. I believe I must be on the right path though. (?)

Many thanks, many

Joe

EDIT: For others benefit. To animate: The A+B connecting objects and the connector were placed into a null. The null was then animated.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:48:30 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:50:56 pm

if the beak is not it's own object then point selections are the way to go (or polygon point, you just have to step through until you get the point you want). And yes, nothing happens until the connector is connected to an object with some kind of dynamics tag on it.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 1, 2014 at 7:04:38 am
Last Edited By Joseph Lathey on Oct 1, 2014 at 7:52:03 am

Excellent. I'm guessing for point/polygon selection I would use 'Live Selection' on the point I wanted to use, then select 'Select> Set Selection' then drag the tag into the 'Map' Property of under 'Object A' of the connector? Does this work the same for both 'Polygon Point' and 'Point Selection'?

Thanks again, as always you guys are always exceptionally helpful.

UPDATE: I have tried this method. The connector does not move, it still stays tied to other point on my bird.

If you would like to get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve, check out my project file: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bx2G-sF7ehrwWF9mTXV5ejlGRHc&usp=sha...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:46:22 pm

fascinating that the connector follows the Skin deformer even with a Stop tag on it with Stop Deformers set... There may be a better way around it but I found this works - as long as the startup phase is a throw-away - if not, the new null would have to be animated to follow the beak.

https://app.box.com/s/vk8xptjfsegivu174xd9

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2014 at 7:16:41 am

Brilliant, thanks! Yes, the initial phase is a throw-away. It already came animated when I bought it.

I ended up doing something similar. I just attached the bundle to a cube with the connector, placed it where i wanted it exactly in the beak, animated the null and then used a 'Compositing' tag on the cube to make it invisible to the camera. This actually worked well as it made it easier to make micro-adjustments to the position of the bundle.

Thank you so much for your help, Brian. You are a phenomenal asset to the C4D community!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]