MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cinema 4D with new Mac Pro (Cylindrical design) vs. older Mac Pro - both 12 core

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Murphy
Cinema 4D with new Mac Pro (Cylindrical design) vs. older Mac Pro - both 12 core
on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:36:40 am

Hey guys, a little detour here but still involving Cinema 4D.

I own a 12 core Mac Pro (16GB RAM) from around 2009 and it has saved me in my projects.

A new 12 core Mac Pro (the cylindrical trash can) was just purchased for me at the office. It is also a 12 core with 16GB RAM and I was really excited thinking this thing would just own all of my renders for now on.

I was REALLY shocked and disappointed to see the new Mac Pro only beat out my older model by 3 seconds on a render that took 1 min. 26 seconds, my older one took 1 min. 23 seconds.

What the???

I thought this thing was supposed to be 50% faster!! New chip, right?

Can anyone offer any personal experience or input as to how I may have to optimise this newer machine to see much faster render times.....I was really let down by that time difference.

Both systems are rendering in Cinema 4D R15.

Thanks for any feedback.
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Cinema 4D with new Mac Pro (Cylindrical design) vs. older Mac Pro - both 12 core
on Aug 29, 2014 at 2:27:16 pm

curious, don't have one yet but followed some of the thread on CGTalk, where some voices I trust were talking impressive performance, more info please - what is the speed of the '09 machine and does it support hyperthereading? For the new Mac Pro is it 12 cores physical/24 hyrperthreaded (therefore 2.7 Ghz) or 6 physical cores/12 core hyperthreaded (therefore 3.5 Ghz)?
Is the render something that has extensive single-core calculations first?

Return to posts index

Brian Murphy
Re: Cinema 4D with new Mac Pro (Cylindrical design) vs. older Mac Pro - both 12 core
on Aug 29, 2014 at 8:17:10 pm
Last Edited By Brian Murphy on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:03:27 pm

Thanks for the response Brian. Afraid you're ahead of me on some of these variables.

I can provide this information to you - does this help?...

My 2009-ish 12 Core:

2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3

New Cylindrical Mac Pro:
2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
16 GB RAM 1867 MHz DDR3

Both machines show 24 buckets when rendering.

Beyond this, I've left the preferences alone for both machines within C4D.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41:52 pm

hmm so the old machine is 8.5% faster in Ghz and both are 12 core hyperthreaded. It's hard to know without knowledge of your test file if it's likely to get optimal results. Have you run Cinebench on both machines?

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:02:41 am

So you're running the test on basically 2 identical systems... why would you expect it to be faster? The speed is in the GHZ, not in the model of the chip. Also just a side note you should probably get more RAM. Mac Pro's are capable of 64GB, there is absolutely no good reason you shouldn't be taking advantage of that, esp if using for high-end graphics.

Your new mac pro should offer significant speed increases while working within Cinema too, due to the graphics card (depending on which one you opted for). I have a maxed-out cylinder at work, and that thing flies

Return to posts index

Manel Menano
on Nov 16, 2014 at 7:54:22 pm

Actually the new Mac Pro goes to 128gb RAM, but I have 16 and C4D won't touch more than 3

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 16, 2014 at 8:51:18 pm

you are not running a Mac (or you are still running on a 32 bit version of C4D). It's all 64 bit now so you are running a 32 bit PC OS or an _old_ Mac. 64 bit can take as much memory as you have available.

Return to posts index

Manel Menano
on Nov 16, 2014 at 9:07:43 pm

I am running R16 on Yosemite, indeed it's 64bit. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I am not experienced. I have tinkered with the memory options but seemed to change nothing..

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 16, 2014 at 9:19:07 pm

hmmm.... with 16 and Yosemite you can't even run C4D in 32 bit mode (which was possible in earlier OS's). Perhaps you just have not needed more than 3GB? If you take a sphere, make it editable, do a Matrix Extrude (in poly mode), then do a matrix extrude on that, then put the result in a Subdivision Surface that should take something like 2GB copy/paste it 3 times and you should be taking over 4GB (don't ask me why it's not linear) or paste it more just for fun.

Return to posts index

Manel Menano
on Nov 16, 2014 at 11:08:31 pm

Thank you! I did as you suggested, pasted it 5 times, got to use a bit over 5gb. It's better, but there's still room to improve. Maybe the tasks I have been doing don't require much ram. The processor is always maxed out though, that's a good sign.

I have a new Mac Pro with 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor, 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory and dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each. I would upgrade the RAM but I haven't even tapped to the 16gb I have so it wouldn't make sense now.

Is there anything wrong with my memory configuration? Maybe it can improve if I tweak it, I'm not sure I understand these settings properly (if I render to picture viewer should I have more RAM for the renderer or for picture viewer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]