MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Simple outline with depth using Sketch and Toon

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphySimple outline with depth using Sketch and Toon
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:17:31 am

After modifying the values and checking boxes til I can't take it any more...

I just want to use a Sektch and Toon material to outline all objects in the scene but I also need to have lines on the inside of the mesh to show thickness. I don't want to see any lines indicating where polygons or vertexes are...just a simple tech rendering.

Imagine several flat cubes positioned near one another, several are rotated, some have a bevel. I need to see the borders of these objects along with a line on the inside to show their thickness...nothing else. Is there a simple setup for this that will work at all angles if I move a camera around them?

Thanks all,
Brian

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Simple outline with depth using Sketch and Toon
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:22:02 pm

Not sure what you mean by, "lines on the inside of the mesh to show thickness." Can you post a sketch to show what you're looking for?

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Simple outline with depth using Sketch and Toon
by on Aug 25, 2014 at 2:07:35 pm

Thanks Adam, here's a render of how far I've gotten. Those little anomalies and undesirable lines drive me nuts. These are simply flat shapes carved from cubes. I just want to show the outside of them and the thickness line on the inside (green).

Brian

Return to posts index

by on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:12:25 pm

Okay, I think you'll get what you want if you set the Lines to just use Creases and Angle, and then set the angle to something like 33 Min and 95 Max.

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Simple outline with depth using Sketch and Toon
by on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:34:43 pm

Thanks Adam!

That got me about 90% there. Sketch is a tricky bird...can't seem to get those poly lines angling in from the rounded corners. There are some squares showing up on a beveled edge too. Tried adjusting the angles but I either lost some important outlines or gained too many lines in the edges of the flattened cubes.

0_sketch.jpg

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:00:38 pm

If the geometry is editable it may just be time to resort to edge selections....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]