MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Multishader: Change texture on a specific clone

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tarroza
Multishader: Change texture on a specific clone
on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:14:56 pm

i have a multishader material on a cloner object that consists of numerous plane objects (the planes are suppose to represent album covers, the multishader is pointing to a folder full of album cover artwork).

Client wants to swap out one of the album cover artwork.

Is there anyway to select a specific clone and change the texture on it?

My go to so far is changing the specific texture within the multishader. The only issue, of course, is that it changes every instance of that texture. i would like to keep the texture on some of those instances.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Freelance Video Editor and Motion Designer
Toronto, CAN

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Multishader: Change texture on a specific clone
on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00:18 am

Yeah, I've been there about a dozen times.

I use mograph selections to deal with those kind of situations. In your case I would do the following:

1. Create a mograph selection of the clone you want to change;

2. Assign the cloner a shader effector and set it to affect color only. Make sure it's restricted to your mograph selection;

3a. Add a color shader in the effector's shader slot and adjust the brightness to cycle through the different bitmaps in your multishader; OR

3b. Leave the shader field blank but give the effector a spherical or box falloff. Move the effector closer to and farther from your clone (within the falloff range) to cycle through the bitmaps. Make the falloff big enough so you have sufficient granular control.

hth

Return to posts index

Chris Tarroza
on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:30:11 pm

Thanks Adam,

I gave it a try and was able to change it, but I wasn't able to change it to a specific texture (bitmap? same thing?). I tried uploading a new texture into the shader effector, and while it did change it, it didn't change it to what I selected, it changed to a random texture within the multishader.

Adjusting the brightness and scrolling through was a bit of a pain, since I have a bout 400 or so album covers. That and it did not preview the change in real-time in the viewport for whatever reason.

Another question. Is it possible to only render a selected clone instance? If they just want one album changed here and there, it would be great if I can solo that cloned instance and render it on alpha. I would think it would save a ton on render time.

Toronto, CAN

Return to posts index

Chris Tarroza
on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:48:56 pm

So I answered my own question...

I used this tutorial from pixellab as a base.

I used mograph selection to select the specific clone I wanted to render. I hit the invert button and applied a volume effector. I checked the "Visibility" con and, boom, isolated the specific clone. Adjusted my render settings accordingly with alpha and saved a BUNCH of time!

Toronto, CAN

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:11:35 pm

I see you got the result you needed, which is great. For future reference, I did a video tutorial showing the method I use with the plain effector and falloff. Sorry for the annoying hum in the audio....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]