MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey LevenstoneReproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:53:37 am
Last Edited By Jeffrey Levenstone on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:54:22 am

Hello Eeveryone,

I was watching this tutorial http://bit.ly/XzLen2 and at 6:39 he uses a technique for creating a fresnel curve with a Falloff curve.

Where can I find such a curve in Cinema 15 to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

Return to posts index

Jeffrey LevenstoneRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:36:50 pm

Hello Eeveryone,

I found this http://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-materials/curve-fresnel/

Greetings,
Jeffrey

Return to posts index

Emir BojorquezRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:47:03 pm

If you put your fresnel inside a Filter, you can use the Gradiantion Curves.

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:22:33 pm

Hello Emir,

I am a bit of a newbie. How do you do that?
Couldn't quite grasp what you meant by that.

Greetings,
Jeffrey Levenstone

Return to posts index

Emir BojorquezRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:39:12 pm

Go to your Reflection Channel >>Texture>>Filter. then click over the black rectangle to go inside the filter. inside this go to Texture >>Fresnel, now move down and you will See 4 Curves inside the Filter (RGB, R,G and B).

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:32:14 pm

Great use of the Filter shader. Probably not necessary, but I did a quick video demonstration of the technique you suggested:

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:21:31 pm

Thank you for the link Adam. The video made it alot clearer.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 20, 2014 at 4:59:54 pm

Something to keep in mind if you use the Filter is that the default interpolation mode of the all gradients in C4D is Smooth Knot.

If you're attempting to remap the values using something like Filter the you'll want to start with a Linear gradient instead, otherwise the values you enter in the curves of the filter will not correspond directly/linearly to the fresnel falloff.

You can change the gradient interpolation by clicking on the small arrow at the left of the gradient, this gives you more options for the gradient including interpolation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:17:26 pm

Thank you Darby.

It is a really nice thing when you finally start to grasp stuff in an app like this.
Been at it for a year now, just learning the basics and understanding the foundation and the vocabulary
of 3D.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:26:46 pm

Are you talking from the point of view of the VrayAnvanced shader (Vray4C4D 1.9)?

And does the gradient also have to be reversed? And does the native or VrayAdvanceShader make a difference
once I am using this method?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Reproduce fresnel falloff curve as in 3Dmax
by on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:40:11 pm

[Jeffrey Levenstone] "Are you talking from the point of view of the VrayAnvanced shader (Vray4C4D 1.9)?"

No. Are you asking from the point of view of the Vray Advanced shader? :) That's important to include in the question.

I have little to no experience with Vray.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 5:24:05 pm

Thank you for this explanation, there are so many option that you can use to get there.

One other question, how do I make the preview ball only show black and no image reflected in it?
I find the image in the ball to be distracting.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:49:58 pm

You mean in the material preview? I don't think you can turn it off if the reflection channel is active. If you could you would have no way of knowing what the changes you were making looked like in the reflection channel.

What I do sometimes when working with transparency/bump/reflection shaders is build the shader in the color channel, where it can be easier to see what you're doing, and when I'm done I'll copy it to the intended channel and delete from color.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 6:55:50 pm

Hello Adam,

I meant for the boll to look like this
Notice is sphere doesn't have the reflection of the woods(trees) in it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:37:52 pm

The sphere is showing the reflection of the trees -- it's just not as prominent because the Fresnel settings he's using are cutting down on the reflection. Also, it looks like he's using a custom scene for material preview, with the two prominent reflector planes in addition to the trees background.

If you really want to get rid of the trees you can create your own material preview scene. The standard preview scenes are located in your Maxon\Cinema 4D R1x\library\materialpreview folder. I would suggest that you modify one of the existing scenes and save it under a new name. You can put a different HDRI in the Sky Object's material, or get rid of the sky object altogether. That way you'll have no background reflections.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]