MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Baked displacement maps

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jannes DrijkoningenBaked displacement maps
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:17:16 pm

I recently made a model in C4D and I did some scultping on it. Mainly using the pull tool with a mask on it to make some nice screwheads and some other details. When I was done I baked the normals(tangent), ambient occlusion and displacement map into a nice 2K texture. Then I exported my model into the FBX format and loaded it into Unreal Engine 4. When I look at it now it's all flat and only the normals are giving the "shadow" effect. The screws are just flat and the other details are allmost invisible. So I tried loading it into 3DS max and then the effect was even worse. It was trying to apply the displacement map but it just deformed the few polygons it had instead of adding the details. When I subdevided the model alot of times it did show the details tho but then I was at about 15 million polygons meanwhile the object itself is only 336 polygons. And you know that for making games it is important to keep it low.

I just want to know if there is a fix for this? Or if there's any workaround except for modelling all the detail?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Baked displacement maps
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 11:33:32 pm

Displacement requires a lot of polygons, whether in the model or via render time subdivision. For games I would imagine that the normal maps would be sufficient. If you want to add the contour detail then you could model in a little detail and combine that with the normal maps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved