MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Deformer and Soft Body Question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin ChotteraDeformer and Soft Body Question
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:17:59 am
Last Edited By Pravin Chottera on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:55:25 am

I want to apply a soft body tag to a deformed sphere and have the object squash as it collides, but I can't seem to prevent the deformed part of the sphere from passing through the collider object.

Here is an example of a sphere with a noise driven displacement (and sub-poly displacement) material:

Displacement and Soft Body Collision

You can see that the sphere does bounce and squash as it collides, but Cinema seems to only take the original vertices into consideration when calculating the dynamics. It doesn't the vertices as deformed.

I've tried using a displacement deformer set to vertex mode on a sphere as well, but with the same result.

Ideally the sphere would roll around as it deforms.

Is this just a limitation of the soft body tag? Of deformation? Is there way to achieve this?

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Deformer and Soft Body Question
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:08:14 am

Put the mesh in a connect object and then put the soft body tag on the connect object.

Return to posts index

Pravin ChotteraRe: Deformer and Soft Body Question
by on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:07:36 pm

So I tried putting the sphere with sub-polygon displacement in a Connect object, but it seemed to produce the same result.

However, I realized I hadn't actually tried the Displacement deformer, which gave me what I wanted. No Connect Objects or Hypernurbs, just a lot of polygons on the sphere.

Check it out:

bounce test 1

bounce test 2

The last thing I want to figure out is how to give it a very frenetic bounce, like it's super excited and is bouncing off the walls.

I was thinking about using the Follow Position parameter and key framing the bounce because I can't seem to get a violent enough bounce through pure dynamics. I tried using attractors and I tried adjusting the Bounce settings, but I'm not getting the look I want.

I believe Follow Position allows you to keyframe the movement and still calculate dynamics, but if not, do you have any suggestions on how one could do this?

BTW, I tried it with a hard body and got some fun results too:

bounce test rigid body

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:43:51 pm

In case you were wondering, keyframes and Follow Position works like a charm!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Deformer and Soft Body Question
by on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:56:05 pm
Last Edited By Adam Trachtenberg on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:57:47 pm

Cool.

If you want more of a pure simulation, the way to increase bounce is to jack up a lot of the soft body settings (into the hundreds or thousands of %) and turn off all the damping parameters. You'll have to increase the substeps in project settings>dynamics>expert to keep the object from exploding. Also turn gravity way down and increase the time step.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 15, 2014 at 6:47:04 pm

I tried adjusting bounce and it did look very cool! I need my object to hit very specific positions, so I'm depending on using Follow Position, but the "realness" of using a real bounce is very neat.

But after experimenting a bit more, I ran into a very interesting problem.

I made a little video to show you what I mean.

collision problem

And as a follow up, I tested what the blob would do in the space between two different objects, and it was fine:

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Deformer and Soft Body Question
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 6:56:21 pm

in the Dynamics Body tag on the Sphere change Collision/Shape from (probably) Automatic to Static Mesh if it's going to stay still or to Moving Mesh if you want to move it around during the animation.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:17:05 pm

Awesome! Thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]