MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texture - Sculpting issues

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelum JayasingheTexture - Sculpting issues
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:48:20 pm

Hello experts,

When I utilize sculpting, specially when I pull polygons up I see the UV shells get stretched or squeezed. This becomes evident in the rendered output. How would you solve it?

Sometimes when you sculpt and the normal and displacement maps are generated, in the rendered product you see totally deformed object. How you can avoid this? What has been wrong?

Baking a normal texture seems to be really time saving. The idea is the software determines the look of the texture and makes a one time render and applies it to all the upcoming render frames of the animation right? How can I utilize this feature?

I have seen normal maps that generate very deep cavities in the rendered objects. How do you create such? Do you need further editing of the normal maps other than what the Normalizer does?

What does specularity map doing?

Thanks a lot for your time...

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Jannes DrijkoningenRe: Texture - Sculpting issues
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:43:45 pm

Got an issue with my baked maps too..
on the right the sculpted one, on the left the low poly with maps.
http://prntscr.com/4avvfq

Return to posts index

Kelum JayasingheRe: Texture - Sculpting issues
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:02:55 pm

Jannes, could you attach the c4d file with both sculpted and baked objects please?

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:38:58 pm

Here you go, I'm new to normals and bump maps, always used to model everything but that's upping the polycount with alot.

project file + baked maps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r7avpcttus969c/SculptCOW.zip

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:18:51 am

Hi Janne...I looked into the scene. The problem is with your Displacement channel settings. You have cranked displacement strength all the way up and it creates those grits in render. Set strength to 25% and you are good to go..pleasure helping you! good luck!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:22:43 am

Alright, that's not really the desired effect. I want it to be an exact copy of the sculpt. Also .tga only allows up to 8 bits. Rendered them in 1024*1024 in .tiff so 32bits. It works fine now! My only issue now is that I did this before I made the UV's. I can't go in and do the unwrapping wizard because this unwraps it differently then the baking did and so the displacement is not in place anymore. How or where can I find the UVW template that the displacement and normal map use?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Texture - Sculpting issues
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:03:40 pm

You should render bigger maps. 512x512 is way too small. And they should be rendered at 32 bits, or 16 bits at minimum.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:56:45 pm

The UV mesh should deform as you deform the object. If it didn't your textures would be distorted. For best results when baking I would activate optimal mapping in the bake options.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:24:45 am

Ok Adam, let me try it. But since the UV map is deforming you get the stretched textures????

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 6:26:41 am

Hi Adam,

The optimal cubic mapping was on when baking textures in this scene, but still the stretched texture exists.. And I tried sculpting after running UV/ material wizard in BP3D...I dont see UV deforming...actually if UV deforming takes place while I sculpt, it should solve this..what seems to be the wrong am doing here..could you check the file and play around? Thanks!

7844_adam.zip

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Emir BojorquezRe: Texture - Sculpting issues
by on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:38:05 pm

If you wanna see the deformation on the UV right click on your model >> Current State to Object. This will create a new object and UV that has all the stretch and deformations that you did using sculpting; the problem with this is that depending on your model you may end up with an object with thousands of polygons.

if, on the other hand you Bake your object, you will be using Normals and Displacement to create the illusion of a high Poly mesh using a low poly object, so this does not affect your object polygon nor its UV.

My recommendations for Sculptind are:
-Work with your UV's Before start Sculpting, UV Wizard it is not always a good choice for Good UV's, specially with complex models, you may need to do it manually.
-Create Low Res Base Mesh with a UV already edited and you will not need to turn On Optimal Mapping.
-Bake your Sculpt Object using 32 bits and using 2K Resolution or Higher (all depends on your model).

I hope this helps you.

Good Luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 8:10:39 pm

Yes Emir, Current State To Object works...Thanks!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:45:42 pm

In some cases you may want to bake down to the second or third subdivision level, too, instead of baking all the way down to the lowest level. That way, if you're using existing UVs, the resulting UV maps will be closer to the displaced result.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:03:17 pm

OK Adam..will keep the tip in mind..Thanks!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]