MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Subdivison Surface/Hypernurb Modeling

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rockin ChucksSubdivison Surface/Hypernurb Modeling
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 8:49:39 am

Ok. I am building a Scifi air bike and I am having issues with this Sub/Hyp modeling thing. I want the frame in the screenshot to have nice sharp creases along most of the edges with some areas staying curvy like the seat frame area. I actually got the basic idea from the Honda Grom with it's ├╝ber cool mini bike design.

I have also added the file if you have any workable suggestions please help me out, thank you.

This thing has been driving me crazy for 4 days. I can't get past the frame.

ROKN Apparel & Design

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Subdivison Surface/Hypernurb Modeling
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:37:33 pm

you have couple of choices in general terms - either use a HyperNurbs weight tag (in 15 it's called the Subdivision Surface weight tag) or increase the amount of geometry (bevel the edges or knife in new edges etc) where you want the sharper parts to be. Either method requires planning depending on the sharpness desired and where you want the sharpness so you will have to practice a bit to get it the way you want.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Subdivison Surface/Hypernurb Modeling
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:46:43 pm

What Brian said. In my opinion you are generally better off using additional geometry rather than HN weighting, although the latter can be good for final touch ups.

When modeling for hypernurbs, or subdivision surfaces, the best practice is to create edge loops around the parts of the model that you'll want to tighten up. I did a quick hack job on bike frame here, but if you look at the loop around the lower part of the frame you should see what I'm talking about. Notice how you can use the knife tool in loop mode to easily add additional loops, which create a tighter edge:

I used a combination of the knife tool, point welding, and edge melt/dissolve to create the necessary geometry. Of course you'd want to be less sloppy.... :)

Return to posts index

Rockin ChucksRe: Subdivison Surface/Hypernurb Modeling
by on Jul 30, 2014 at 4:28:18 pm

This is what I came up with using the same techniques described. Oddly enough I ended up getting it just right before I saw the replies. thank you very much. You confirmed what I thought I needed to do.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved