MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Bad OBJs in Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Klein
Bad OBJs in Cinema 4D
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:09:00 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Klein on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30:34 pm

Hello. I am a novice in Cinema 4D (R13). I need to texture and render a football helmet for a client. The 3D model of the helmet was sent to me as multiple OBJs (one OBJ for each piece of the model). Each OBJ is a different random color in the attached image, just so you can see what the different pieces are. Most the helmet came in fine (the OBJs look how they are supposed to). However, a few of the pieces look funky (they have holes/errors in them). These problematic pieces include the dark green, light green, and yellow pieces in the attached image.

I am wondering if there was an "easy" way to fix these pieces. Maybe a checkbox somewhere that says "fill in the holes" or something like that. The 3D doesn't need to be 100 percent perfect/accurate, it just needs to be fixed enough where there won't be these obvious errors. We could just Photoshop the stills but there will need to also be a few animations done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could post the individual bad OBJs if that would be of any help.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Bad OBJs in Cinema 4D
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:20:29 pm

There is a "close polygon hole" tool, but you'd have to do each hole individually. First make sure that they really are holes and not reversed or degenerate faces. I would probably start by running the align normals command.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:44:31 pm

Hey Adam, thanks for the response. The Align Normals command didn't work (assuming I did it right) and the "close polygon hole is not available from what I see, I'm guessing because these are imported OBJs? (again, I'm a novice in C4D). I'm going to post a C4D file which only contains for of the promlamatic OBJs. On the attached image, I've circled some of the problem areas which should be fairly obvious anyway. The big and most noticeable problem is the bottom one where there is a big rectangle hole missing on the left pad which is not missing on the right pad (all part of one OBJ). Anyway, if someone wants to take a look and give me any pointers. There might not be an easy fix, the problem might just be the OBJs we got from the client are bad, I just don't see us getting anything new from them. Thanks again.

Here is the CD4 file...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12942499/_hole.zip

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 22, 2014 at 11:51:21 pm

Hoo boy, that is some nasty geometry. Someone did a lousy job converting a NURBS model to polygons. I don't think it has anything to do with Cinema's obj. importer. Is there any chance you can go back to the client and ask for a cleaned up model, or barring that, get one in a common NURBS formats (like STEP or IGES)?

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19:38 am

Thanks for the response, I'm going to see if they can send anything else but I'm not optimistic.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:55:35 pm

Good luck. If they can give your a STEP or IGES file I could try to get you a better polygon object by converting it in Rhino.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:03:26 pm

Hey. I'm 90 percent sure these original models were created in Rhino and converted to OBJ. Any suggestions I could give the client that would result in better OBJs? Or if I could get the original Rhino file and send it to you, is there something that you could do to get me better OBJs? If it's a lot of work we could work out compensation. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:47:41 pm

Assuming the models are error-free in Rhino, it's really just a matter of playing with the poly conversion settings to get a good result. Can't really generalize too much because it's a case-by-case thing.

If you can get the Rhino file I'd be happy to give it a shot. It shouldn't be that big a deal if the models are sound. Otherwise, it can be a big deal and possibly beyond my Rhino skill level.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25:11 pm

I'm going to speak to the client and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks again and talk to you soon!

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:46:09 pm

Hey Adam, I got the Rhino (.3dm) file from the client. Hopefully you can open this and do something with it. There is also an OBJ file inside this zip. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

http://fileshare.headrushcreative.com/_zaq__qO-Vy5suR

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:18:26 pm

Hey Jeff,

Dowloading now. I'll let you know what I find as soon as I find something. :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:20:35 pm

Great, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:54:55 pm

Ah crap, that's a Rhino 5 file and I have Rhino 4. It won't open.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 28, 2014 at 9:01:19 pm

Damn it. Thanks for trying and let me know if you have any other ideas.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 28, 2014 at 9:12:12 pm

I dl'd the currently free (because it's a WIP missing features) Rhino for OSX and it says "Many bad objects were created while reading "Speedflex_Assembly/SPDFLX.3dm"" - I tried exporting as a Rhino 4 and it said some of it is Rhino 5 only -- I can't see any visual differences so here it is Just in case https://app.box.com/s/c3sgoxqzwqm1bkjm7y4u

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 28, 2014 at 9:16:25 pm

So it looked just as messed up as in the screenshots I posted? Thanks again for trying.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 28, 2014 at 9:58:48 pm

I opened the file that Brian saved in Rhino 4 format and it is indeed supremely screwed up. I don't know that's how it is in Rhino 5 or if that's an artifact of the conversion. In R4 none of the surfaces are welded, and they all seem to be doubled. Even if the surfaces weren't doubled up I think it would be hard to join them together.

If you're not careful in Rhino it's very easy to create reasonable-looking objects that are technically unsound and in those cases it's usually impossible to join the surfaces into water-tight objects. When that happens it can be a challenge converting the NURBS to polygons. I think that's what happened here.

Very odd if they were using these models to create prototypes. I don't know how they were able to do it.

Sorry for the non help.

Return to posts index

Jeff Klein
on Jul 28, 2014 at 10:03:05 pm

Thanks for the response. I found someone with Rhino 5 and the model looked exactly the same as it did in Cinema 4D. They also mentioned it might be a nurb/poly thing. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]