MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texturing a curved road

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelum Jayasinghe
Texturing a curved road
on Jul 16, 2014 at 9:05:57 am

Hi guys, I have created this road and sculpted in Cinema 4d...All I need is to texture procedurally so that the zooming towards moving trucks wheels will look more realistic...I created body paint texture but as I zoom the texture gets pixelated...

Now this is a curved road...I have a procedural texture for road from City Kit but when I apply it, it doesnt bend nicely but stays straight...

How can I achieve this...I want the road texture to run nicely along the road...the tiling should follow the road's path nicely...please help..check the attached file ..warning! contains the sculpted high poly mesh..your PC might crash!

7745_truck.normalroad.c4d.zip

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Texturing a curved road
on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:42:35 pm
Last Edited By Adam Trachtenberg on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:45:58 pm

Unfortunately there's no easy way to do that in Cinema 4D; the UV tools are a bit primitive, I'm afraid. When I have complex UV editing to do I use a third party program called UVLayout. Fortunately for you, I took a few seconds and straightened out your UVs for you. :-) It literally takes a few seconds in UVLayout whereas it would take hours and hours in C4D.

You can't copy the sculpting tag from one object to another, so what you'll have to do is merge the attached object into your scene. Then delete the UVW tag from your road object and drag the UVW tag from the imported object to your road. Then you can delete the imported object.

File: 7751_7745truck.normalroad.obj.zip

For future reference, the best way to deal with this kind of situation in C4D, IMO, is to create the geometry with a sweep nurbs. That way you'll be starting out with straight UVs. If you need to push and pull points to get the exact shape you need you'll still have relatively straight UVs when you finish.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:41:45 pm

Hi, thank you very much..I know Headus UV Layout...I have tutorials and yes its superb...will try it...but please advise...

1. What is the file format you should export from c4d so that UV layout will recognize?

2. Lets say you opened the file in C4D with the way you describe as answer to 1, you do the UV edits and how would you import that data into C4D and utilize without an issue?

3. C4Ds problem with straightening the UVs is the issue here??

4. Splines/// when splined objects are made editable, the caps stay detached from the rest ( hull )..and when you go sculpting such an object, you run into trouble.. thats why I used box modeling...

Thanks for your valuable tips mate...

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 16, 2014 at 9:21:58 pm

1. I always export to wavefront (obj.) when going to UVLayout. Then export back the same way. Cinema will open .obj files in a new scene, or you can merge them into existing Cinema scenes.

2. The UV changes you make in UVLayout translate to Cinema, no problem.

3. Yes, in this case Cinema has no facility to easily straighten curved UVs, but UVLayout has lots of other advantages (symmetry, alignment, stacking, etc.).

4. You can weld caps to the geometry by using the Mesh>Optimize command.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 17, 2014 at 1:44:16 am

Wow...Adam thank you so much for your precious time...I should start using it..I have UV Layout with me but I thought C4D's UV Editing is the thing I should master..We Should suggest Maxon to copy UV Layout's capabilities into Cinema, shouldnt we?? I will make a suggestion through their site...

Does wavefront format preserve the model's polygonal surface as the model becomes a wavefront from a c4d file? No distortions or surface missing at all?

Thanks for the optimizing tip...lot more to learn...lets do the proposition to Maxon on working on UV editting module...

Thank you.... :) :) :)

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:07:07 am

Glad I could help.

Obj format preserves the geometry. The only thing that isn't supported by Cinema is material export, though of course UVs are imported and exported fine.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:57:37 pm

Thanks a lot... :)

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:42:15 pm

UV Layout lessons are done..You are right, its amazing and fun..Thanks for the guiding Adam...Just a thought...in UV view ( keyboard shortcut 1 ) I see red straight lines and dash lines keeping the UV shells within some proportion...Does tht indicate a texture size or texture resolution? How can you determine the size of it? Does that have any kind of texture quality related influence when I zoom the camera in? In order to achieve highest quality texture upon zooming in or to get texture quality procedurally, what should I do...? Thanks!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:19:54 am

The solid red square represents the object's UV space. It has no real scale outside of the object. If you want to avoid pixelation you either need to use bigger textures or use procedural materials.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:11:17 am

Thank you so much... :)

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 21, 2014 at 1:53:36 pm

Hi Adam, I did work on the road by straightening UVs like you said..I applied the texture tag like you said and it worked...I noticed the UVs were very longer than the texture...In such a situation can you scale the canvas in order to contain the whole UVs or.....what should i do..?? I loaded a bigger road texture which was tilable...and scaled down UVs to fit the canvas...then applied color channel only texture and set it to 10 tiles. Then, since the road was a sculpted object, I baked it and applied displacement and normal channels only texture to the object and I set tilling off...since you cannot make displacements/ normals tiled...

The render looked good this way, but I wanna know if this is the procedure I should go when applying textures..

Is it possible for me to set another different texture to the banks of the road using set selection tags, otherwise the tilable road applies to road banks? Please advise, thanks!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:26:31 pm

Yes, you can use two different textures for the road and road banks. As you say, you can do it by using polygon selection tags. Just create the two tags and then drop the polygon selection tags into the appropriate boxes in the texture tags.

As far as tiling goes, there's a way to apply different tiling (and projection) to different channels in a shader. You do this using the Effects>Projector shader. Your bitmap loads into the Projector, and then the Projector settings provide for separate tiling options.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:05:59 pm

Dear Adam, more questions coming for you...sorry to trouble you..

7777_adam.jpg.zip

In the above uploaded file, I find highly detailed and never repeating / tiling textures on the ground..How can you achieve this..Do I need loads of RAM for such high quality textures? Are these very huge textures?

The in the UV layout capture below, the long UV shells do not pack into one red box and extends across several..same thing happens when I open UVs in C4D...Its like the canvas isnt adequately holding the UVs...Is this an issue that requires sorting out...What should I do? Scaling down UVs to fit the canvas would help? does that distort the texture? Please help...

7778_adam2.jpg.zip

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:03:55 pm

I don't work with game engines so I don't know what's available in that area. Are you producing an environment for a game engine, or are you just trying to create the look inside of Cinema?

If I was doing something like that in Cinema -- rendering a very very long road -- I would do it procedurally -- creating a texture with multiple layers of different noises. I just slapped a bunch of noises in a layer shader as a quick (not great) example: 7779_proceduralroad.c4d.zip

Otherwise, yes, you would need very big textures, or a series of smaller textures that tile. Or a combination....

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:56:54 am

Am not interested in games, but I do wish to get in to movie industry.. That capture is from a movie..I wonder if the immediate environment and the distant environment coming from a matte painting, may be a different pass? Those scenes are so real..

Talking about multipasses, I have never used them...Is it a very complex thing..Best way to learn them I think is to use a very primitive object add light and shadow and try different passes for each...must work on that...If you do this in Cinema do you need color keying?? When you apply color keying in AE, I have never been able to achieve very good results...on edges the greenish/ blueness becomes clear...But in Cinema, I think you can specify different passes for light, shadow, specular, DOF etc. ?

I've heard in bigger studios they have custom-made software and extreme resources...Cant we achieve the same with our normal home PCs if we work hard?

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:05:18 pm

[Kelum Jayasinghe] "Talking about multipasses, I have never used them...Is it a very complex thing..

It's a little complex but not terrible. I think a good way to get into it would be to set up a scene that has a few relevant properties, like shadows, reflections, a few separate lights. Then enable the appropriate layers in multipass. If you use After Effects, install the plugin that comes with Cinema. You'll find the plugins in the Maxon>Cinema>Exchange Plugins folder.

After you get everything set up, go to the Render>Save menu and enable AE export. When you render the file Cinema will create an *.aec file that you can open in AE. This will import all your passes and create a composition with all the passes assembled in the appropriate order and with the correct transfer modes.

Then it's just a matter of experimenting with the passes to see what you can do with them.

If you do this in Cinema do you need color keying??

No, Cinema takes care of this for you. If you want to isolate an object in post the way to do it is to give the object a compositing tag in Cinema and enable an object buffer in the Buffers tab. Then, in the multipass settings, enable an object buffer pass and set the number to the same number that you have in your compositing tag.

That will output an alpha image of your selected object. Inside AE you use that as a luma matte to separate out the object.

I've heard in bigger studios they have custom-made software and extreme resources...Cant we achieve the same with our normal home PCs if we work hard?"

Yes, I think with requisite skill and hard work almost anything created by film CG departments can be recreated with off-the-shelf software.

Return to posts index

Kelum Jayasinghe
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:04:15 am

I looked into your texture, yes its really good. Let me try it too...Thanks!

Cinema 4D ROCKZ!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]