MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

External Compositing Tag Solid Issues in After Effects CC 2014

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Magnus
External Compositing Tag Solid Issues in After Effects CC 2014
on Jul 11, 2014 at 1:49:42 am

I'm working on a pretty simple animation to show off my clients new iPhone app. The problem I'm having is 2 fold, first when I use Cineware, the screen plane that I have an external compositing tag on, to create a solid, the solid doesn't match up to the movement. It lags behind kinda catching up, but not completely.

Second, out of desperation, I thought I'd try rendering out from C4D, and importing the AEC file, but that doesn't even have the solid in the composition? I tried a very simple animation with just a spinning plane, and the solid in Cineware was doing just what I have above, but when I rendered out the aec, and imported everything was lined up.

You can download the scene from my DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dpnzjvjp8otqyt/3D-iPhone.zip

The compositing tag was working in Ae before I started to animate the phone, so I'm really confused as to why it doesn't line up! What am I doing wrong? Any help is really appreciated!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: External Compositing Tag Solid Issues in After Effects CC 2014
on Jul 11, 2014 at 8:17:22 pm

Something about that fracture object... Once I put the phone out of it, the solid appeared in AE.

Can't tell about that lagging behind on your first try without seeing the AE file.

Return to posts index

Brad Magnus
on Jul 13, 2014 at 2:48:14 am

Thank you for checking out the C4D file! I have the phone in the fracture object so I can use the delay effector to smooth out the motion. Is there another way?

I'm rendering out from C4D with the animation texture. But I'll get the Ae file together so you can see what's going on. Hopefully you can see if I'm doing something wrong. I'd really much rather composite in Ae...

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 13, 2014 at 6:53:53 am

I'm going to guess that the delay effector is the source of your troubles. There are two possible problems.

1) The delay effector in R15 has a tendency to forget to work, so it's possible that the C4D scene is not delaying the object but the delay is being properly added in the compositing information. The only way I've found to 'wake up' the delay effector is by dragging it's strength value in the attribute manager a little bit (do NOT type in a value and press return/enter).

2) The delay effector is working properly in C4d but not through the cineware/AEC pipeline. In that case you should apply a MoGraph Cache tag to your Fracture and cache it. Honestly I'd do that even if it turns out #1 was the problem. For animations that require data from previous frames (e.g. dynamics, delay effectors, etc.) you should always cache.

The easiest way to confirm that the delay effector is the issue would be to disable it and see if things line up in AE.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brad Magnus
on Jul 13, 2014 at 8:11:54 pm

I thought I had tried that before, but just to be sure I just tried it again. I deleted both the delay effector and the fracture object from the scene, and similar results.

It's really strange because the solid appears to be rotating the opposite direction. (appears, because I guess it could be the camera too).

Any other suggestions? I would really prefer to composite in Ae. Rendering the video texture from C4D for now.

Return to posts index

Brad Magnus
on Jul 13, 2014 at 8:20:23 pm

I should point out that the green background image above, is from Cineware. That's been a big issue for me. Previously, the rendered aec files weren't even importing solids either. I'm going to test if I MoCache if the solid will come in from the aec.

Return to posts index

Joseph Nilo
on Jul 11, 2014 at 8:40:10 pm

I do a lot of iPhone 3D model work and instead of replacing the screen in AE I do it in C4D. Save out the screencaptures as a video in the correct aspect ratio of the screen and load it into the color channel of the screen material. Click the preview of the video in the material editor and go to its animation tab and press calculate. Then go to the Editor tab of the material and check the Animate Preview box.

This adds to the realism, especially if your iPhone model has a glass screen with reflections and refraction.

Joseph Nilo
HiLo Media
http://www.hilomedia.com

Return to posts index

Brad Magnus
on Jul 13, 2014 at 2:51:39 am

That was my last resort, I don't like committing to graphics like that until the client has given me full write off. Now if they make a change I've got to re-render the Ae file, and then re-render C4D... I really do appreciate the suggestion though! I know you saved me some time looking for what I was doing wrong not having the "Calculate" button pressed or the "Animate Preview" box checked! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 13, 2014 at 6:57:46 am

If you render the screen black then making the screen appear behind the reflective glass isn't too tough in composite. The aptly named 'Screen' blend mode does a great job.

Pretty much the only time I ever consider rendering screen content in 3D is when I need reflections or illumination from the screen to fall on other objects.

Even then I'll sometimes render a UV map of the screen + reflections to map the texture in post.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]