MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

2 questions about materials and volumetric lighting

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Simpson
2 questions about materials and volumetric lighting
on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:37:22 pm

The first question is that I have a scene where the character is wearing a tie but when he turns around, I cannot get it to be just the black of his coat. I have the settings on flat, front and fit to object. When I have these settings, his back is just white.

I tried to add a black material to his back but that does not work either. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

The second question is how to control the amount of haze in volumetric lighting without changing the brightness of the light itself.

Return to posts index

Seth Olson
Re: 2 questions about materials and volumetric lighting
on Jul 8, 2014 at 7:31:12 pm

Have you tried "both" sides instead of just "front"?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 8, 2014 at 11:00:22 pm

I don't understand the first question. Can you post a file or screenshot?

Regarding the second question, you can adjust the volumetric light properties in the light's visibility tab.

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55:01 am

Thanks Adam, I will continue fiddling with the visibility settings. I have watched some tutorials and they do not explain well enough my situation.

As for the suit problem, I have attached a screen. The guy on the right is facing forward but the Japanese Yen on the left, that is his back. So, I have tried multiple things, including adding two seperate textures, one to the front and a completely black one to the back, but nothing is working. I have tried every combination of settings I can think of, flat, frontal, back, front, both...nothing works.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jul 9, 2014 at 4:47:51 pm

It's hard to tell what the problem is without seeing the file or just the object/texture. The front/back option in the texture tag relates to flat polygons. Each polygon has a front and a back side. But if your objects are three dimensional, i.e., they have an inside and an outside, and if the normals are aligned properly, then all of the outward-facing polygons will be "front" faces.

The easiest way to deal with the problem may be to create polygon selection tags for the front and back sides, and then assign separate materials to each selection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]