MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Spline Mask Rectangle

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derick JoeSpline Mask Rectangle
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 2:12:48 pm

Hello Cinema4D users. I'm having issues with using a rectangular Spline Mask in Cinema4D Lite for After Effects CC. I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue. I'm a beginner at Cinema4D, but not After Effects.

I'm currently working on an animated title sequence and am trying to use a rectangular spline mask to mask out part of an illustrator graphic. I have the graphic which is an illustrator path layer inside a spline mask layer. The rectangle layer is above my illustrator path also inside the spline mask. I have all of this inside an Extrude Nurbs layer. I've animated the rectangle mask to slide along the x axis to reveal the logo which is the illustrator path. I also have several lights setup within my scene. There is a material object set on my logo layer.

So my issue is that the rectangle layer is showing up as a solid colored object and not transparent as I think it should be. I've watched several Cinema4D tutorials online showing how to use spline masks with the rectangle tool and none of them ever have this issue. I can't figure out why my rectangle is opaque and taking on the color of my lights as if it had a material applied to it. Does this make sense? I've attached a screenshot of my project. Obviously that huge colored rectangle isn't supposed to be there. The following image shows what I'm trying to mask out and reveal which are those lines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Derick JoeRe: Spline Mask Rectangle
by on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:18:35 pm

Nobody has any answers to this issue?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Spline Mask Rectangle
by on Jul 8, 2014 at 3:05:29 pm

what is the Mode of your Spline Mask? From the description I'm guessing it should be A Intersect B - the Axis is probably correct or you wouldn't get anything. Otherwise can you post the file?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 3:30:19 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I've been racking my brain over this issue for a couple of days now.

My spline mask mode is 'B subtract A' which I'm guessing means I'm subtracting the rectangle from my Path layer. I tried switching to 'A intersect B'and nothing seems to change.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:06:44 pm

Here's the file

7719_megacamptitlelines.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:40:20 pm

in both of your Extrudes turn off Hierarchical - the spline mask is providing a single spline, by turning on hierarchical you are telling the extrude to include all the component parts so you always get a rectangle (because it's the biggest piece and covers everything else)
Both of your Spline Masks should be Mode - A Intersect B and Axis - XY (Along Z)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:58:19 pm

How do I turn off Hierchical? sorry, I'm still new and learning the program.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:03:06 pm

Figured it out.That did the trick! Thanks so much, Brian!

By the way, how does the Extrude NURBS know not to extrude the Rectangle instead of the Path when I deselect Hierarchical? I'm a little confused about that.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:21:24 pm

that's what the Spline Mask is doing, it's working out the bits you want to see and creating a single spline on the fly, the Extrude just extrudes whatever the the mask gives it.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:43:46 pm

Got it! Thanks for explanation and the help, Brian! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:00:38 pm

Sorry, one more question for you, Brian. What if I wanted to mask out a group of objects? For example, I have text layer which is inside an Extrude NURBS which is attached to a Fracture with a Plain Effector. I want to add a rectangle spline mask and reveal this text. Do I group the text with the Extrube Nurbs and Fracture together and then place that group in a Spline Mask with the Rectangle? This is what I thought you would do, but when I do this, the rectangle has no effect. I've double checked my mode and none seem to do anything.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 8:18:16 pm

the spline mask combines/masks splines only - you probably want to use a Boole object instead so instead of masking with a spline you create your objects and 'mask them with a Boole and a Cube much the same way as you were doing with the spline and rectangle.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:19:24 pm

Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]