MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Shape Conservation during Inflation using Soft Body Tags

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph AudehShape Conservation during Inflation using Soft Body Tags
by on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:09:52 pm

Hello CC Community,

I work for an artist who has a project to model and deploy inflatable, aesthetic satellites into orbit.

My job is to simulate the entire mission, and I've run into a few problems from the start with inflation using soft body tags.

Essentially I have a deflated balloon that must be small enough to fit within a CubeSat, a 10 cm x 30cm standardized design used to launch satellites as payloads from rockets.

I've struggled for a couple of weeks to simultaneously inflate and increase the volume of the deflated object to a full sphere, without the object exploding into sharp polygons that expand uncontrollably.

I've "optimized" the object right after it was made editable, have increased the frames per second, and experimented with volume conservation, shear, structural (springs), flexion, pressure, bounce and friction: nothing seems to work!

Is there any particular function in soft body tags I'm unaware of which I can use to control the volume of the object while keeping the shape intact? Would it be easier to morph a deflated capsule to a full sphere?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

-Joseph Audeh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved