MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Shadows and compositing tag

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Sverre Wold-HansenShadows and compositing tag
by on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:21:40 pm

I just want to render out a TGA or PNG where an object-shadow on the ground (a simple Plane) is kept in the image along with an Alpha channel. Ground not seen. I need to use this image on a web-page with the Alpha. I've done this before, but now I can't...

I have used a Compositing Tag on the ground and turned seen by camera OFF. Most others are ON. I get no shadow (alpha) in the TGA.

Seems like the shadow is disappearing along with the Plane...

PerS

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 4:30:56 am

You mean you want to isolate the plane with an alpha, or the shadow?

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-HansenRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 1:10:04 pm

Hi Adam - Sorry for being unclear.

The reason for the plane being there is solely for the purpose to get a shadow - cast by the object. I thought I could "remove it" (and not the shadow) by the Composition Tag.

The "end product" should be a PNG w/alpha holding the masked object and its masked shadow - The PNG is to be put on web-page. The shadow helps mimmic an impression of depth on that page - Keeping the page's gradient backdrop.

PerS

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Jun 16, 2014 at 4:07:42 pm

Okay, gotcha. The way I would generally go about this would be to render out a shadow pass and then multiply that over the background. But since you want the alpha the easiest way to do it is to use the free shadow catcher plugin: http://www.thepixellab.net/cinema-4d-free-shadow-catcher-plugin

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:09:42 pm

OK - I think I understand. However, "a shadow pass" is slightly beyond me. Your link, though, is very interesting. Joren's "thepixellab.net" is one of my favorite C4D sites. Interesting place. I justed visited, downloaded, watched the tut - and tested the plugin.

Amazing - It works (in R14 Studio)! So this saved my butt. Thank you very much for your time, Adam!

PerS

Return to posts index

Simon HuangRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Jun 21, 2014 at 4:53:53 am

Oh, I just solved this problem just yesterday.
Download "shadow-catcher" and apply the mat with shadow catcher to the floor. Render as "PNG" file and alpha channel.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2014 at 12:46:46 pm

Thanks for your tip - which also got from Adam. Works fine!

PerS

Return to posts index

Chris HollandRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:50:07 pm

Will this work with Cineware in Aftereffects ?

I am having a really hard time getting this to work. It just won't transfer the shadow over

Chris Holland
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Aug 14, 2015 at 7:07:15 pm

if you want to get alpha shadow with cineware just set a white plane on c4d and make sure it gets the shadows...set an object buffer for that plane.

Within AE duplicate your cineware layer...turn on its pass mode to that object buffer.

Use that as a matte for yout main cineware layer that you can later either remove the white or simple change it to multiply.

Return to posts index

Chris HollandRe: Shadows and compositing tag
by on Aug 21, 2015 at 5:57:39 pm

Thanks.

I finally had a chance to mess with this today and got it to work. Appreciate the help.

One thing to add is to get a full on white plane I had to add a background and and composite it to the floor or the floor was picking up the light and having a gradient and it would't matte 100%.

Is there a way around that besides adding the BG and compositing it that you know of ?

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]