MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Sluggish view of animation - on a fast machine - when setting up scenes

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
Sluggish view of animation - on a fast machine - when setting up scenes
on Jun 5, 2014 at 11:06:34 am

(Studio R14, Cinebench: CPU ->1176, OpenGL -> 126)

With my "decent speed machine" I'm having problems setting up animation in many scenes. They are very complex/heavy: Ocean animation; Relatively complex landscapes; Intricate Vessels. Many animated parts: Object-moves, radar antennaes, propellers, flashing lights, waves, moving vehicles on shore, etc.

I'm getting about 1 frame/sec at times - Some of the scenes are quite time-critical, and it is nearly impossible to get an idea of the animation flow until after render. Result: Repeated re-renders.

I've tried to turn off "everything not needed" - And set to "Box-view". Still sluggish... I've not tried to set the elements to different Layers yet, and turn un-needed Layers off. I'm not familiar with that. Could that possibly help?

What I'm about to do is to make a "mock-up" of Cubes and a Floor to find the right timing. - Then use data from THAT in the real project

Any other, better ideas? - I would be immensely thankful for any help on this!

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Sluggish view of animation - on a fast machine - when setting up scenes
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:21:22 pm

Layers are a good idea. You might also adjust the level of detail down.

If you're using any cloners see if you can get away with enabling render instances.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:53:33 pm

Thanks Darby.

I'll certainly try Layers.

> You might also adjust the level of detail down.

How do I do that? Where? What kind of details?

No Clones used.

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:21:16 pm

It should be in one of the editor menus. I don't recall exactly which one.

Even if you're not using Cloners you might try creating instances of any duplicate geometry that doesn't require point level animation. An instance of an object uses almost no memory while 2x a single object would normally require 2x the memory.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:51:12 pm

Probably the biggest CPU killer in terms of viewport performance is object number. If you have hundreds or thousands of objects that aren't animated you might see if you can join them into a single object, or at least fewer objects.

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:12:26 pm

Adam

Thanks for the input! - Many Objects, but not in the thousands...

I could try to reduce numbers, but it is possibly easier to just do a "simplified" simulation (Cubes, Floor) of the time-critical Objects.

Wondering: When joining Objects extensively the textures for these single Objects could be numbered between 50-100. + Other (non-textured-) materials. Is there a limit?

BTW: Do you think turning OFF Layers would help?

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:24:09 pm

Are you using dynamics? If so, have you baked them? Baking the dynamics will increase your scene size on disk but will eliminate any need to calculate dynamics per frame.

Of course it becomes difficult to iterate the settings on your dynamic objects if you're baking them every time.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]