MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Create a simple spiral using helix

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roman ivnitzkiCreate a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 3, 2014 at 12:25:37 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create a 3D spiral that will look like this:

that is something I've painted in photoshop for a storyline of a project I'm working on.
Eventuly i'll need to fly threw it.

I've made this simple object by using helix+Create outline:

I want to keep that shape the way it is, without volume like this kind of spiral:

and apply a texture that i'll create similar to the spiral from the storyline.

the problem is that I don't really know how to go from that helix to a 3D object that can be filled with texture, applying Extrude NURDS messes it up, I guess that's because of the start point/ end point of the line:

(Sorry for my english)

thanks.
Roman.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:26:22 pm

you can sweep a straight spline segment along a helix using a second helix as a rail spline to control the banking of the sweep, like this.

7569_flathelix.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

roman ivnitzkiRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:22:52 pm

Now I've implemented the material draft onto the spiral using the UVmap, and I guess I need to use some kind of Alpha channel to make the areas I didn't paint on transparent:

any quick\easy tips?

Thanks!

Roman.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:31:27 pm

yes, an alpha channel. Just enable Alpha in the Basic tab of the material. Then, if you have an image file that has an embedded alpha channel (usually a .psd/.tiff/.png), you just load the same image into the color and alpha channels in the C4D material. The C4D Alpha channel will find the embedded alpha in the image file automatically (though you can select the alpha by hand if you want). You can also use a black and white (greyscale) image for the alpha as well if you want to use a separate alpha image file.

Return to posts index

roman ivnitzkiRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:38:15 pm

Thank you again!

Meanwhile I've set my camera and path, modified the spiral and lighting. Every thins is as I imagined it :)

Roman.

Return to posts index

Roman IvnitzkiRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:21:34 pm

Last Question on this topic, regarding render & motion blur:

Everything looks great except of the blur at the edges of the screen,
I'm still rendering, will the resulting movie look the same as the frame preview here?

If so, what have I done wrong:

I've used physical render to allow depth of field on the camera, which looks great, and allowed the motion blur flag on my spiral (without changing default values as they are controlled by the preset on in the render settings dialog).

By the way, this spiral will go somewhere in this (done in AE):

It's about the effect of the internet and technology on todays' kid's youth nad free time activities.
the spiral is a transition between the way it was in the past (like in the promo), and the way it is today which will be a virtual/dark world full of media and commercial content.

Roman

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Create a simple spiral using helix
by on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:01:09 pm

Increasing the blurriness subdivisions will improve the motion blur. I'd also recommend increasing your sampling, try the medium preset.

Both of these changes will increase render time but are key to getting good results.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]