MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Render oddity/Error -> Uneven light flicker on lantern on ship -> Supposed to be steady light.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
Render oddity/Error -> Uneven light flicker on lantern on ship -> Supposed to be steady light.
on May 28, 2014 at 3:48:10 pm

(Using R14 Studio) - The scene mentioned is "to scale" -> I.e. measured in meter.

I rendered 600 frames (see images enclosed) of the scene. In most frames everything is normal, but in 15 frames of the whole - and unevenly distributed - the white lantern light effect is OFF. The lanterns are "stationary" on the ship - There are f.ex. no separate animation effects added to those.

To fix this I had to re-render these frames. But the same 15 frames still rendered with light effect OFF. The lantern body is self-luminant - It is a regular object and is not affected. The lightsource is placed on the outside of that object.

So I started adjusting the X, Y and Z of the light position millimeter-by-millimeter. THEN suddenly a "hit", and the image rendered with light effect ON. (I've enclosed screenshot of position data)

Must be a bug of some kind. - An explanation anyone?

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Render oddity/Error -> Uneven light flicker on lantern on ship -> Supposed to be steady light.
on May 28, 2014 at 5:36:21 pm

If I were you I'd avoid this issue by changing some of the attributes on your light object instead.

For example, make sure that all of the "Fade" attributes in the Lens tab are turned off then add the self-illuminated geometry the light is associated with to its Exclude list. Center the light to the parent geometry.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
Re: Render oddity/Error -> Uneven light flicker on lantern on ship -> Supposed to be steady light.
on May 28, 2014 at 6:38:28 pm

Thank you Darby! - I'll keep this in mind. But I think it does make sense to make the "Fade if Behind Object" ON... The others were OFF.

And I shall try to center the light - and as said use the Exclude - in my next run.

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 28, 2014 at 10:18:16 pm

[Per Sverre Wold-Hansen] "But I think it does make sense to make the "Fade if Behind Object" ON... The others were OFF."

You're right. It does make sense if the light will be going behind any additional objects beyond the self-illuminated surface. I've just found that the Exclude list in the light also applies to these settings so it was unnecessary to disable them to begin with.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-Hansen
on May 28, 2014 at 7:04:17 pm

I tried now, but couldn't make the exclude work. For me no light (-effect) would show when inside/centered in the "light-dome"-object when using the "Exclude" in the light Tab.

However - What I did was to put a Compositing Tag on the light and use the Exclude for the light-dome on THAT.

Just to let others know / clearify.

PerS

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 28, 2014 at 10:21:57 pm

[Per Sverre Wold-Hansen] "I tried now, but couldn't make the exclude work. For me no light (-effect) would show when inside/centered in the "light-dome"-object when using the "Exclude" in the light Tab."

When excluding the containing object from the light the only important thing to exclude is the shadow, so make sure that's enabled. You can disable the others.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]