MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Taking Too Long to Rendering File

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan EdralinTaking Too Long to Rendering File
by on May 22, 2014 at 6:41:58 pm

Hey guys,

I am still getting familiar with C4D rendering settings, but for some reason the rendering is taking longer than expected for a project I am working on. It has been rendering for almost two days, so I know something is off.

Attached is a link to my working file. I have multiple objects with transparency/reflection which adds rendering time, but it is kinda important for the animation.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Taking Too Long to Rendering File
by on May 22, 2014 at 7:15:49 pm

From what I've seen, you may just have your sampling quality (under the Physical tab) a bit too high. If this is your completed render size (130x83), then having it up to high quality is a bit overkill. Medium quality will probably give you comparable results at less than half the time. The completed image is too small to notice all the fine details.
Also, it seems for the most part you have a lower poly count which is good.You could also lower the edge beveling on some things, which is where the renderer slows a bit.

Hope this helps!

Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Taking Too Long to Rendering File
by on May 22, 2014 at 7:18:32 pm
Last Edited By Darby Edelen on May 22, 2014 at 7:19:33 pm

I have three recommendations.

1) Increase the Sample Distance on your volumetric light. I haven't looked at your entire animation but simply changing the value from 0.028m to 0.2m reduced the render time for the first frame at 756x486 resolution from 1:25 to 0:38 with no discernible visible difference (I increased the resolution so that I could more easily compare quality). If you absolutely need smaller steps then you might try animating the sample distance to be lower for only those frames where it's needed (I doubt it's needed though).

2) Set the Adaptive Sampler to the "Automatic" mode and change your Shading Error Threshold to 3%. This additional change resulted in a render time of 0:17 seconds from the previous 0:38 again with no discernible visible difference. You could probably increase the Shading Error Threshold even higher (say 5% which resulted in a 0:10 second render time), if it results in noise in blurry reflections then increase the Blurriness Subdivision instead of lowering the Shading Error Threshold.

3) Since this is an animation you should be using the Gaussian anti-aliasing filter instead of Cubic. This will not affect render time in any significant way but it's preferred as it will help to avoid moire and crawling that can result in Cubic or other sharpening AA filters for animations.

You should be able to cut down the render time to about 20% of what you were dealing with by doing the above.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jonathan EdralinRe: Taking Too Long to Rendering File
by on May 22, 2014 at 9:50:02 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. All your feedback really helped, the blue light was the main culprit. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved