MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ongoing questions regarding miscellanous functions in C4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Green
Ongoing questions regarding miscellanous functions in C4D
on May 22, 2014 at 8:04:42 am

Hi,

I'm going to be making a real effort to get to grips proper over the coming month so I thought I might start a post where I can get all the answers I'm looking for if I can't already find the answer elsewhere.

My first questions is this:

1. How do I connect 2 points from different splines to make them into one spline?

2. I'm planning to model an object that I can take into Affects Effects that looks like a wireframe/outline. Do you think applying sweep nurbs to splines is the best solution? And further down the line would I be able to fill the object with a solid colour with opacity so that the lines that are on the opposite side of the object are not as visible (kind of like when you enable X-ray on a solid object and you can still see through it)?

Music Videos, Motion Graphics, Creative Multimedia, Video Production, VFX and Graphic Design by Splurj Creative Multimedia

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Ongoing questions regarding miscellanous functions in C4D
on May 22, 2014 at 6:45:27 pm

[Scott Green] "1. How do I connect 2 points from different splines to make them into one spline?"

The general answer to this question is that you must first Connect the splines so that they are segments in the same object. With both splines selected in the Object Manager go to Objects > Connect Objects or Connect Objects and Delete (if you don't need to keep copies of the original separate objects). Then you can use Join Segment to join the splines.

However, in the image you posted it looks like you want to join the end of one spline to the middle of another spline. That's not possible. Each spline has only one start and one end. They cannot form Y or T junctions.

The best option for you might be to connect the objects as mentioned above but not attempt to join the segments. Instead select both points and use the Scale tool with the Shift-key held to scale them into the same point in space. The splines will still be separates segments but they will appear to be joined.

[Scott Green] "2. I'm planning to model an object that I can take into Affects Effects that looks like a wireframe/outline. Do you think applying sweep nurbs to splines is the best solution? And further down the line would I be able to fill the object with a solid colour with opacity so that the lines that are on the opposite side of the object are not as visible (kind of like when you enable X-ray on a solid object and you can still see through it)?"

I would model the object using polygons and then either convert the desired edges to splines and sweep them or use a Cloner to place cylinders along the edges.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]