MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Mapping an Image sequence with alpha channel in Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vishwesh MenonMapping an Image sequence with alpha channel in Cinema 4D
by on May 10, 2014 at 2:06:29 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a project which has Vehicles created in Cinema 4d and characters animated/created in Flash.

The idea is to import 2d character animation image sequence (PNG with alpha) into Cinema 4d and place the 2D animation with the 3D vehicles.
This I hope will allow me to have the light setup in Cinema 4d Cast a shadow of the 2d animation along with the other 3D elements.

I imported the Image Sequence onto the color channel and Alpha channel of a new material. I then hit the calculate button in the Animation tab of the loaded image sequence in both the color and alpha channel.

I then Created a simple plane and applied the material to the plane.

here is a render

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2ql4evt.jpg[/IMG]

The light setup in the scene casts a shadow of the Plane on which the material is applied.

I'm trying to get the light to cast a shadow of the character. is that possible with the approach i have used? or is there another way to achieve this.

Please could someone show me the way.

Thanks in advance

Vishwesh Menon

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Mapping an Image sequence with alpha channel in Cinema 4D
by on May 10, 2014 at 2:18:10 pm

it looks like you have scene-wide Ambient Occlusion on and the the plane you have mapped the sequence onto is 'shadowed' because of that on your ground and vehicle. Unless that is desired you can put a compositing tag on the plane to exclude it from the AO. Otherwise it doesn't look like you have any lights in the scene at all except the default light which doesn't cast a shadow, do you have a shadow casting light in there? (maybe there is a light off to the left but it's definitely not casting shadows since the truck doesn't have a shadow)

Return to posts index

Vishwesh MenonRe: Mapping an Image sequence with alpha channel in Cinema 4D
by on May 10, 2014 at 2:55:52 pm

Hey Brian,

Yes there is a light to the Left and the shadow casting was turned to none.And i've been struggling! Silly me- I'm sorry i'm a complete newbie to cinema 4d

Once i turned on the shadow on the light- i got the shadow of the character along with the shadow of the Plane.
The composting tag you suggested worked perfect and i turned of the option 'Seen by AO' and boom I have only the shadow of the character as intended!

Thanks brian!

Cheers

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Mapping an Image sequence with alpha channel in Cinema 4D
by on May 11, 2014 at 2:21:24 am

If you want a small contact shadow for the character you could enable 'Evaluate Transparency' in the AO render settings instead of turning them off completely with the compositing tag.

I'm pretty sure that should work anyway :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]