MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Dynamic animation to static mesh?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John FultonDynamic animation to static mesh?
by on May 7, 2014 at 9:53:35 pm

Hi group,

I've only been at C4D for a few months so this might be an easy answer. I'm following this tutorial making an array of dynamic balloons . Now that I have it looking great on frame 60, I want to convert this current state to a static mesh. Every way I've tried achieving this has reverted the balloons back to their original state before the dynamics play their role. Can someone enlighten me?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Dynamic animation to static mesh?
by on May 8, 2014 at 12:49:36 am

apply a Mograph Cache tag to your cloner, Bake then you can do a Current State to Object on any frame

Return to posts index

John FultonRe: Dynamic animation to static mesh?
by on May 8, 2014 at 3:36:57 pm

I was looking forward to trying this approach this morning but after many attempts it's not working. I apply the mograph cache tag, play the dynamics out, pause, bake through the tag and then try to replay the animation but it's taken away all the dynamics completely now and they just sit there not changing through the sequence. Very frustrating, I really want to figure this out.

Here are some screen grabs:

http://johnfultonphotography.com/Hierarchy.png

http://johnfultonphotography.com/ItShouldLookLikeThis.png

http://johnfultonphotography.com/WhatItLooksLike.png

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2014 at 4:29:54 pm

could you post the c4d file?

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2014 at 8:45:37 pm

Thanks for having a look Brian. I hope what I'm trying to do is accomplishable.

7470_balloontutw6.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2014 at 10:31:19 pm

your Hierarchy.png image (from earlier) has a MoGraph Cache tag but the tag on the cloner in the c4d file is a point cache tag, you were experimenting I guess but that won't do what you want. When I changed that to a MoGraph Cache tag and hit Bake in the tag and let that run I was able to go to frame 60 choose the cloner and do a Current State to Object which gave me a new object hierarchy of only frame 60. At that point you can make the original cloner be invisible

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2014 at 11:18:23 pm

You've made this so simple and I can't get it to work. I'm starting to think that there's a bug in my C4d copy. I've rebaked and replayed and the balloons are not moving. Do I need to be working with the separate timeline window or just the main timeline on the bottom of the interface? (I haven't worked with the separate window and don't know the purpose of it yet).

Here is freshly baked file with the correct tag: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqa61p6dtqy3186/Balloon%20Tut%20w6.c4d

I really appreciate the help in figuring out what I'm doing wrong here...

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2014 at 1:17:50 am

Turn off the Subdivision Surface - i've been turning it off to speed things up then turning it back on after the bake is done. I just tried baking with it on and I get the same as you. I don't know if it's a limitation of the way your hierarchy is constructed or of the cache tag or what but the SubD is just slowing the calculations down since the dynamics are all happening with the poly balloon (which is also called Subdivision Surface.1 just to be confusing :-)

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2014 at 2:16:24 am

Holy crap, it works! I've spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure this one out. Thanks a lot Brian...

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Dynamic animation to static mesh?
by on May 8, 2014 at 2:14:27 am

Have you tried caching frame 60?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]