MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Applying cloth only to a selection on a mesh

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyApplying cloth only to a selection on a mesh
by on May 7, 2014 at 2:26:05 pm

Hey all,

I am only looking to use the cloth effect to a part of a mesh. The only way I can think of doing this is to fix the points I don't want to use for cloth on the mesh but if I do this, do those points still have to compute in any way for the cloth effect? Out of about 2000 points, I only need about 30 of them to use the cloth effect.

Two separate meshes would not be an option as I need the transition between the cloth part and static part seamless. (already tried this)

Thanks,
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Applying cloth only to a selection on a mesh
by on May 7, 2014 at 3:46:37 pm

I can only guess but it's likely each fixed point has to be checked but then excluded from the calculations for any frame. Is the calculation speed any different with the cloth mostly fixed vs 'unfixed'?

Return to posts index

Brian MurphyRe: Applying cloth only to a selection on a mesh
by on May 7, 2014 at 6:24:47 pm

Well to answer that question: YIKES! Just did a test and YES, every point, whether fixed or not, will calculate. Bummer. This would be a wonderful feature in future revisions of C4D, the ability to isolate selections with cloth properties - this isn't the first time I have needed it.

Thanks Brian.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Applying cloth only to a selection on a mesh
by on May 8, 2014 at 4:22:53 am

You should be able to separate the mesh that you want to clothify. Then belt the points that join the rest of the mesh and put both pieces in a Connect Object to weld them together.

Example: 7469_partialcloth.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]