MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Non-visible lights do nothing

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul MooreNon-visible lights do nothing
by on May 5, 2014 at 6:11:18 pm

So I'm trying to light an object, but the lights don't affect it at all unless I set their visibility to anything other than "none", but when I do that, it totally washes out the scene with visible light. How do I get the lighting I want on my object without the washout from the light source?

(The object is text extruded using NURBS. I'd use MoText, but R14 Lite doesn't seem to have that feature.)

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Non-visible lights do nothing
by on May 5, 2014 at 6:34:50 pm

can you post the file. Lights will light an object always usually but there are many reasons why it might not affect an object - materials that just don't show lighting (100% Luminance for example), light settings - falloff or exclusion that excludes an object. It's hard to know without more info.

Return to posts index

Paul MooreRe: Non-visible lights do nothing
by on May 5, 2014 at 7:38:48 pm

Okay, sorry it took so long. I've never used the file upload system here before and got a bit turned around.

File: f1.creativecow.net/7446/3d-title-project

Assume very little about my knowledge of C4D. I only started using it a few days ago.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Non-visible lights do nothing
by on May 5, 2014 at 9:19:36 pm

that's a lot of lights. I assume most of them are for the background glow behind the text and it's Light 10 and Light 16 you are talking about to light the text? And it's the front face of the text you want to light (since the sides are definitely lit)?

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 10:37:59 pm

No, it's the sides. Whenever I turn visibility off for 10 and 16, C4D turns them off entirely. If you disable everything but 10 and 16 and set their visibility to none, you'll see that aren't, in fact, lighting anything, but when I set their visibility to anything else, it washes out the image with visible light. I want to see the affects of the lights on the object without seeing the light itself.

Return to posts index

Tim ShetzRe: Non-visible lights do nothing
by on May 5, 2014 at 11:03:43 pm

It seems to have to do with your textures. When I remove them, the light shines on them correctly.

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2014 at 11:09:03 pm

More specifically, it has to do with Mat1.
I removed both and it worked.
I removed Mat and left Mat1 and it didn't work.
I removed Mat1 and left Mat and it worked.

Something about that texture. Also, not sure why you have 2 textures. Both are set to UVW and both sides.

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2014 at 12:00:49 am

More specifically, it has to do with Mat1.
I removed both and it worked.
I removed Mat and left Mat1 and it didn't work.
I removed Mat1 and left Mat and it worked.

Something about that texture. Also, not sure why you have 2 textures. Both are set to UVW

EDIT: if you turn the color channel on for Mat1 it works as well.

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2014 at 1:43:38 am

Weird, that looks like it fixed it. Thanks.

I was doing two textures under the direction of a tutorial, but I think I'll stick with one texture per object until I learn more about materials.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Non-visible lights do nothing
by on May 7, 2014 at 3:40:47 pm

If the tutorial was directing you to use two textures and one of them had no color channel then I'd wager that they intended you to enable the Mix Textures check box on the top material (the material tag farther to the right).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2014 at 5:50:05 pm

I'll take that under consideration. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]