MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Rendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Sverre Wold-HansenRendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.
by on Apr 24, 2014 at 3:53:43 pm

My client want an animated, rotating version of the ("open") 3D mesh of his vessel - As seen when working on the C4D screen without shading. I have now joined all the pieces into one single vessel model and removed the textures.

1) I have tried the Proximal shader procedure as shown by Chris Schmidt (Greyscalegorilla), but the model is too complex - The render is extremely slow.

2) I also tried to use the Atom Array as suggested by someone. However, the machine chokes due to model complexity. (Fills > my 14GB).

3) Tried Toon Render without much luck.

4) Cel Render: Looks decent, but it seems to me impossible to get the interior and "back side" - Just front side with "hidden lines".

So I thought: Well - If I can get rid of the faces and just keep the edges - and THEN do Toon or Cel Render - THAT would cut it. But I cannot for the best of me find out how to get rid of all the faces without also loosing the points and edges. When in "edit faces" mode - with all faces selected - a "delete" removes everything...

Any ideas?

(I'm still on R14 Studio)

PerS

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Rendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.
by on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:07:10 pm

if you delete all the faces only the points remain (until you Optimize) but that won't help. You can select all the Edges and run Mesh/Commands/Edge to Spline which will give you a spline containing all the edges which you should be able to do something with.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Rendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:13:01 am

I think Sketch & Toon is your best bet. In the Sketch effect settings, check edges (only) in the lines tab. In the same tab, under culling, set the type to Objects. Uncheck the self culling box. In the shading tab, turn off object shading (and background if you wish). Then place a 100% transparent material on your object.

In the render tab I would suggest that you set Line AA to off and then turn on Best AA in the regular Anti-Aliasing settings.

Return to posts index

Jack CookRe: Rendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.
by on Apr 30, 2014 at 11:59:46 am

Nitroman has a free plugin called MagicWireframe that you might try. I don' know how complex an object you can use with it, but it's probably worth a try.

http://nitro4d.com/blog/freebie/magicwireframe/

Jack

Return to posts index

Per Sverre Wold-HansenRe: Rendering an animation of a see-through, rotating 3D mesh.
by on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:35:15 pm

Thanks, Jack, for this very good tip about Nitroman's impressive mesh-render plugin! - I have collected it and just tested. It looks very flexible - and FUN! - Exactly what I needed - I hereby pass on your recommendation...

PerS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]