MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Randomize a cloth simulation applied in a cloner object?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyRandomize a cloth simulation applied in a cloner object?
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 3:59:21 am

I'm trying to have a camera pass through a series of flags and I want them to be ripping randomly as the camera navigates through them. I built the ripping using a cloth tag and then I dropped the hierarchy inside a cloner. Then I added a random effector with a time offset of 7 frames. I thought that would make each simulation start at different times but it didn't, they all happen simultaneously, as you can see in the attached image.

Can anyone tell me what settings do I need to apply/modify in order to achieve a random look off a single tearing? I have to create 32 different flags and if I create a specific tear for each it's going to be too slow to preview and/or render if at all possible.

Thanks.
David.

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Randomize a cloth simulation applied in a cloner object?
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:56:28 pm

No one?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Randomize a cloth simulation applied in a cloner object?
by on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:51:17 am
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:53:10 am

Cloner/Object/Fix Clone - off
Random Effector/Effector/Max - 100% // Min - 0% // Random Mode - try Sorted but they all do different things
Random Effector/Parameter/Time Offset - something bigger than 7. It will take the number of frames you have in your flags animation plus the Time Offset to finish all the clones animation.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 24, 2014 at 10:49:49 pm

Thanks a lot Brian.

I gave this a go and unfortunately didn't work. I must be doing something wrong. I added a cube as the reference object for the cloner in object mode, with distribution set to volume and the flags sort of arranged in the way I need them, but the tearing still happens simultaneously, even when I entered 50 frames as the time offset for the random effector.

Do you know if the effector needs a falloff or should it work on infinite?

Thanks a lot again.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:02:58 am
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:09:35 am

oh yeah, cloth being a dynamic sim in it's own right is not going to play with mograph the way you want. You can bake the cloth to PLA using Timeline/Functions/Bake Objects...
Open the Timeline,drag the cloth object in there, choose Bake Objects, choose the frame range, only check the PLA in Includes - leave the top three (Bake Expressions, Create Copy, Clean Tracks) checked

That will make a PLA copy of your flag (with no cloth tag) that will work with the Cloner and the Random effector

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:42:06 am

Thanks again, I'll try it right away.

Best,
David.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:30:22 pm

Hey Brian, I hope you don't mind another question.

I baked my animation into PLA like you said but as soon as I turn off/remove the cloth tag the simulation remains but the tear is gone, meaning the cloth pieces start falling the way they're supposed to but they never separate from each other.

See the attached screenshots

So far I haven't found a way of making it work without the tag, but as you mention, with the tag in there the effector doesn't work, is there an extra setting I need to tweak?

Thanks so much for your help.
David.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:32:06 pm

my quick tests were just with a dropping flag type cloth - this is the second time I've seen this recently - I should have remembered, tearing requires the Cloth Surface (Cloth Nurb pre-15) - that can't be baked to PLA and baking the poly object never gets the tear (I think because new vertexes are being generated during the tear to be able to have polys on either side of the tear separate from a shared vertex) and PLA does not handle new vertexes being created. At this point I'm stuck for a solution to that.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:40:30 pm

Yeah, I tried with Nitrobake and didn't work either. I'll have to use a different method then.

Thanks for all your help.
D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]