MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Z-axis explanation

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh DekayZ-axis explanation
by on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:00:48 pm

Hello, I'm a new user of C4D and hope this is the correct place to ask a couple fundamental questions.

I am a bit confused with the orientation of Z-Axis. It appears that Positive Z moves away from the "front" of the scene. This is confusing to me as it feels more logically (in my mind) that Positive Z would move closer to me when looking at the scene.

I've also read that all models should face in the direction of Positive Z, which is strange knowing that the default setup of a scene in C4D essentially "encourages" this to be build in an opposite manner due to the default view which a new project starts with.

Is the Positive Z Axis pointing forward or backwards?
Is it standard/a good idea to build a model facing in the direction of Positive Z?

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Josh DekayRe: Z-axis explanation
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:20:43 pm

Does anyone have any insight they can offer on these two questions?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Z-axis explanation
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:14:06 pm

if you are the camera then positive movement into the space you are looking at, is away from you. That's just a way to look at it, they had to make a choice somewhere. Positive Z is definitely into the screen in the Front view, in the perspective view it just depends on where your camera is. The way each of the axis XYZ arrows points is in the positive direction (in whatever space you are in, Local or World)

Others may have better examples but I think it's not as important as it was to orient in the Z, it still is at times - the Align To Spline tag needs Z alignment, there are more examples that are not coming to mind at the moment - and there are newer tools like the Spline Wrap deformer where you can choose the axis...

Return to posts index

Josh DekayRe: Z-axis explanation
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:23:41 pm

Got it - thanks for your input BJ!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved