MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Anyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick AnvicanAnyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:29:36 am

Hi all,
new to the forums here as well as C4D, just wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of making an ice layer that animates and "frosts" itself onto an object like a landscape, would need some animated cracks as well, need to know how to make ice materials too, thanks in advance,

RickAVC

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Anyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:30:08 pm

This GSG tutorial may be helpful, depending on the look you're after: http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/how-to-make-an-animated-freezing...

Return to posts index

Rick AnvicanRe: Anyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:25:29 pm

Hi Adam,
thanks for the suggestion, I've looked at the tutorial which I could follow but I was wondering if there was something basic that I could start with, like a window frosting and then a thin layer of ice accumulates, seen many tutorials for AfterEffects but I personally find it easier to do 3D in C4D

RickAVC

Return to posts index

Andy HenikRe: Anyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:34:52 am

Hi there,

You can create a polygon object as indication for the surface you want to cover. Make sure you give it enough polygons, to receive the result you desire, but don't overdo. this object will later be hidden from the camera.
Than create one object you want to be as part of the frost. Put it under a Mograph cloner modifier.
In the cloner modifier set the mode from Linear to Object.
Drag than the polygon object as indication for the surface into the object menu.
You can change the distribution from Vertex to Polygon if you prefer.
Keep the cloner selected and go to mograph ( list on top of the software window) via Effector select Plain.
In the plain effector menu go to he Parameter menu and set the possition to 0 on XYZ, go to scale, select Uniform scale and in the scale menu write -1. Than go to falloff and change the shape settings from infinite to linear. Change orientation to what ever suits your needs (for example if it is a window, select +Y, so the frost object will disappear depending where your effector is, but when the effector is draged down, it reveals the frost object)
No select the cloner object again (by selecting the cloner object and choosing a new effector, it automatically is connected to the cloner. If you do not do so, you will have to drage every new chosen effector into the Effectors window of the cloner) than go again to the Mograph menu amnd under effectors select Random.
You can play with the parameters the same way like the plain effector, but including possition this time.
Put the random effector under the plain effector and by using the plain effector as the leader of the animation, make keyframes from up to down in the desired time you want.

Hope I helped
Andy

Return to posts index

Rick AnvicanRe: Anyone can give some ideas on how to make a layer of ice that "frosts" on an object like a landscape?
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:58:55 am

Hi Andy,
thanks for offering your routine, I'll try it out later in the week, thanks,

RickAVC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]