MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Axis change rotation question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean boweringAxis change rotation question
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:00:12 pm

i have a simple polygon separated into 9 facets (3x3) and i'm trying to get it to unfold reveal, from shape 1 to 9. i tried the 'unfurl' plugin and the rown 'unfold; python script, but neither of them will work because the shapes are irregular. so i figured i'd just keyframe it myself.
however after shifting all the axis points to the touching edges i can't get the rotate animation to work cleanly... it wobbles about in the inbetween frames. i tried fiddling with the auto tangents but no help...

here's the file with just the first facet keyframed so you can see what's happening...

have i done something wrong with adjusting the axis point? can anyone help me out?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Axis change rotation question
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:28:19 pm

The problem is that you're trying to keyframe on the X(H) axis instead of the Z (B) axis. Because of rotation order issues, that will cause a problem any time your object is already rotated on other axes.

So, another way around it would be to go the coordinates tab of all your objects and freeze transformations before you start animating.

It's a tricky subject. I suggest you search for "rotation order" in the help docs and read up.

Return to posts index

sean boweringRe: Axis change rotation question
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:36:12 pm

using the freeze transformation is great advice, thank you!

i did get it to work wobble-free with the quarternion tag, but only with linear interpolation, so it felt very robotic. your work around allows me to ease in and out.

thanks as always!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved