MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Subtract Spline from 3D object to "cut out"

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodSubtract Spline from 3D object to "cut out"
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:54:03 pm

Sorry if this is a little beginner but I'm coming back to C4D for a project for a friend after some years of not using it..

Got a logo from a friend and he wants a free little animation of it, so I bring it into C4D and use an extrude nurbs on it to make the spline 3D. Now all I want to do is cut out the inner part of the letter so the letters take on a stencil characteristic.

The picture helps explain it a lot better. The black lines inside the text? I need to cut them out of the 3D object so that it goes through all the way.

A bit of assistance on this would mean a lot, thank you!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Subtract Spline from 3D object to "cut out"
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:03:04 pm

if the black lines represent splines you already have just connect them with the outer text spline and it should extrude with the holes. If they are just photoshopped using Create Outline on the text splines to get the extra splines is probably easiest

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: Subtract Spline from 3D object to "cut out"
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40:57 am

Many thanks for the help, will give this a try in a little bit and will let you know :)

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:18:08 pm

Sorry had a computer malfunction.

Back online now, I can't quite work out what to connect and using what option. Sorry I've been away from C4D in a long time and though I can animate and apply nice lighting settings I am afraid this most basic of steps is eluding me entirely.

The problem is that, in the 'W' in 'SHAW', for instance, the holes I want to cut out are made from multiple splines.

I've attached the project file and I'd appreciate some help on this, thank you so much!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:25:07 pm

Sorry had a computer malfunction.

Back online now, I can't quite work out what to connect and using what option. Sorry I've been away from C4D in a long time and though I can animate and apply nice lighting settings I am afraid this most basic of steps is eluding me entirely.

The problem is that, in the 'W' in 'SHAW', for instance, the holes I want to cut out are made from multiple splines.

I've attached the project file and I'd appreciate some help on this, thank you so much!

EDIT: I actually managed to get this to work, exactly how you mentioned. Found the connect option when right clicking the splines in the object window. Wonderful, thank you!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]