MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

create a polygon mesh from several thousand nulls?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Hoopercreate a polygon mesh from several thousand nulls?
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 12:48:34 pm

Hey guys, I'm attempting to create a polygon mesh from A LOT of nulls I've exported out of boujou. Trouble is I can't find a simple way of doing so. I found a "Nulls2PtCloud" plugin here

http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/cinema-4d/free-plugins/

but it doesnt seem to do anything. Possibly to do with my version of cinema. All I want to do is convert all the nulls I have into vertices on a polygon mesh. I don't care what the mesh looks like as long as I have those points on a polygon object. The reason for this is because I wish to import the obj mesh into after effects to use with the Plexus plugin. Any ideas on how to do so would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance,
Eugene

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: create a polygon mesh from several thousand nulls?
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:56:13 pm

If the plugin doesn't work (it does here) you can use mograph to achieve the same thing. First, create a single-point object. Easy way to do that is to make a cube editable, select all the points, and then run the weld command.

Then put the single-point object in a cloner and set the cloner to object mode.

Now create a fracture object and drop all of your nulls into it. Use the fracture object as the target for your cloner.

Make the cloner editable, select all the objects, and run the "connect and delete" command.

There's your point cloud.

Unfortunately I don't know of a great way to turn that into a coherent mesh. You could put it in a meatball object and get somewhat close, but it's messy. If you have x-particles you could use the skinner object and get closer to the original shape.

Unfortunately Cinema's .obj exporter doesn't seem to work if you're just exporting points, but if you get the Riptide Pro plugin it actually does work, at least in my simple test. https://skinprops.com/riptidepro.php

There's also a free version of Riptide so you might give that a try first.

Return to posts index

Eugene HooperRe: create a polygon mesh from several thousand nulls?
by on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:21:23 pm

thanks for that! I'll give it a crack.

Cheers
Eugene

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]