MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Clarification on tutorial technique

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pozzer
Clarification on tutorial technique
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:18:42 pm

hey all... im hoping some C4d guru will be able to offer some insight on this. i was watching THIS TUTORIAL the other day. Very informative! it was covering how THIS VIDEO was made. but, there was 1 omission in the technique that i could see...

in the original video he was trying to recreate, you can see how each little slab of the logo curls in, one after the other. his explanation of this is to use the PLA function to give the sweep nurbs curve some animation so as the sweep moves over the curve, the curve also gives it some additional animation. this is all well and good, but what he does NOT explain is how each instance has that PLA animation offset in time.

if you watch his tutorial, when he adds his PLA to the curve, it happens to all sweeps simultaneously. in the original video, the curve animation happens to each little slab/object. so clearly some additional control or effector is being used to have that animation offset over time, and i dont think they would have created a unique animated curve for EVERY one of those slab objects.

so, im hoping someone can shed some light on this because its a realy awesome technique, and that final little bit of information would realy bring it right up on par with that original video.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Clarification on tutorial technique
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:27:33 pm

Here's an example file showing two methods to achieve something like this:

7221_offsetsplinedeform.c4d.zip

In the first example the cloned object is a sweep nurbs with an animated path spline. A step effector is used to offset the animation via Parameter>Animation Offset.

In the second example a cloner is set to blend between a deformed spline and an undeformed spline. The clone number is set to one. That cloner is then placed in another cloner to duplicate the object. A Plane effector with the Modify Clone parameter at 100% is then applied to the original cloner. By using linear offset, the position of the effector controls the state of the blend.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:05:29 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Pozzer on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:27:49 pm

Adam, thanks for the scene. great to see 2 different options ontop of the one already covered in the tutorial! im new to C4d, so im going thru the file trying to see exactly how it all hooks up, but i appreciate the fast response!

opps, spoke too soon! so iv modified your scene a bit. i added some PLA to the splines. while it does affect the sweeps and the clones, it still only uses that PLA movement once, applying it globally to all clones at the same time. INSTEAD, is it possible to have that animation read with an offset? hopefully im making sense.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:31:29 pm

Yeah, the first example in my file does exactly that. The step effector applies animation offset in the example, but other effectors can also be used.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:12:51 pm

sorry Adam, my bad, your step effector did indeed work. i was having trouble getting the same look to happen with the plain blending version. it seems that with the 2 splines the PLA doesnt have the same effect of offsetting over time. i guess this is because 1 spline is straight, and 1 is bent, and its only blending between their shape, but not doing a time offset like the step modifier. is there a way around this? just curious. thanks again!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:52:22 pm

You can get more control of the blend method by creating more blend shapes. The example I posted just had two for demo purposes, but there's no limit to how many you can add. They'll proceed sequentially based upon the effector's falloff strength.

Return to posts index

Aaron Pozzer
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:24:34 pm

hmm, ok, id hafta fiddle around with it. hooking things up in cinema is still a bit wierd for me, coming from a maya background. seems theres a different ways to hook up each effector and i never know which method is correct.

thanks for the help though... if i get stuck again ill repost.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]